HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soulfly @ Harpos - Detroit, MI - 10/16/09  (Read 866 times)
KevinDeets

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2009, 01:43:38 pm »

After 5 or 6 local bands, Mutiny Within finally hit the stage over 3 hours after doors opened.  Gotta love Harpos.  Anyway, they played a great set.  Unfortunately it was only about 20 min, and very few people had arrived yet to watch their set.  They have a CD dropping in Feb. 2010.  Check it out.  They were really cool.

Cattle Decapitation were awful.  

Prong was next.  They were really cool.  Those guys can jam.  Plus 1,000 points for having Tony from Static-X on bass.  I didn't know that he was/is in Prong.  "Whose Fist is This Anyway" is such a great song... much better than their big hit "Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck."  I always thought that song was very cheesy... almost like a bad Powerman 5000 song.

This was around my 10th time seeing Soulfly, but the 1st time since the PROPHECY tour, so it's been awhile for me.  Bobby was wearing a Primer 55 shirt.  Don't get me wrong... I love Primer 55, but that's a little strange to wear the shirt of your own band on stage.  That's so Fred Durst-esque.  Soulfly's set was a little surprising.  They did a lot of jams or medleys that included snippets of songs.  I also expected them to play longer.  I know I'll lose a lot of points for this, but I wish they wouldn't do Sepultura songs.  I understand Soulfly doing that 10 years ago or Cavalera Conspiracy doing that b/c they only had 1 album of material to play, but Soulfly now has 6 albums of material, and their music can stand on its own.  I honestly would've rather heard more Soulfly songs.  The show was still awesome.  Marc Rizzo is a great lead guitarist, and I always love the drum jam that they do.  The pit was absolutely brutal during "LOTM."  I was hoping to hear the song "No" because I saw Soulfly w/ Static-X back in 2002, and they brought out Tony from Static-X to sing that song.  He screamed his ass off on that track, but it didn't happen again last night.  Oh well.  Still a great set, and the crowd loved them.

Soulfly Setlist:

Blood Fire War Hate
Prophecy
Back to the Primitive
Seek N Strike
Refuse/Resist
Doom
LOTM/Raining Blood jam
Drum jam
Fire/Mars jam
Inner Self
Warmageddon