HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Am Ozzy - Fan discussion of Ozzy's new book!  (Read 2645 times)
f_darkbladeus
Community

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2010, 07:42:31 pm »

So share your observations of Ozzy's new book "I am Ozzy."
---------
Rock on Ozzy Osbourne...we love you! ::stare

---
I'll believe it the day Ozzy sings a real love song. ::animatedlaugh
f_darkbladeus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 07:45:00 pm »

So, I got the book from the UK when it was released and read it in five days. I am a much faster reader than that, but this book and the experience of walking alongside Ozzy, and hearing his voice for a few brief moments? That I wanted to savor ... so I dragged it out on purpose.

The opening is pretty hilarious. When you get the book, you'll get what I mean. Very funny :-) What a great opening.
So much is so good in the book.

The biggest thing being Ozzy's sense of humor. It cracked me up over and over as he was sharing memories of this or that. He tells a story of a fire his dad starts in a setee when he was a teen, one that he thought he started...it's hilarous. I'm not gonna tell you the story 'cuz then it would ruin it when you get the book. I laughed so hard when I read it I was crying.

The next page over he tells a story of ONE LUCKY GIRL. OMG. I bet her spontaneity is something she has thought about lots over the years, that's for sure!

Ozz goes through the history of his life in 3-D, touching on this and that memory I recall as a fan about his life, and many, many that I hadn't a clue about, life in the day in general, and it's beautiful. It brings back so many memories!

One of the things I have wanted is to be able to walk beside the man, and have him share his life with me. In this book, it's basically what he does. He's honest, up front, and talks about everything. And his spirit shines out big time.

What happens as you're reading is feeling more love for the man...his heart, the humor, and the lack of airs about him. He's not vain, that is for damn sure.

---
f_darkbladeus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:18:07 pm »

(continued)

One thing he did share that surprised me is the perspective that many of the fans of Sabbath in the day were guys, or "two-bag" women. I was really shocked to hear that because in my day back in MA, we used to party in the park in big crowds of guys and girls...and there were tons of young, sexy, beautiful women rocking out and in love with him and the band and the new genre they brought to us.

I do know that at concerts there was alot of hysteria in the crowds, so for safety reasons we stood in the back. The waves of human emotion reacting to their songs literally threw you fifteen feet one direction and just as quickly fifteen in the other. I had to be up on the shoulders of the four guys I went with the whole concert because I was getting smashed big time. Concerts aren't like they are today, where everyone basically cares to be sure nobody gets hurt.

What he shares about drinking and drug-use, wow. Having grown up in the same days, I still feel the same opinions about the lack of reaction and strong action from his wife. Especially given behaviors around the children, and the thread of despair you can't help but hear in his spirit when he shares things. That was her job as his manager. Respectful of not beating a dead horse reiterating the same thing, I'll leave it at that.
I am grateful for his sake that he has found his way out of the maze. AMEN!

I was sad to hear about his grizzly bear. To whomever stole it? ::stare

---
paozzygrrll56

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 10:44:01 pm »

wow now i really cant wait for the 25th when it comes out in usa. and the 27th when i finnally meet the man in person. ya know what would be great ,if an audio version came out  with him reading it.::animatedlaugh::animatedsmile

Gnomez
Village Idiot... and Lover of Sheep...
Community

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 04:04:45 pm »

I agree, the books a great read with some great pics.
The early days and history of black sabbath and going solo make interesting reading.
The book is a bit disjointed in parts and lacks dates/timeframes in some areas.
Pity there's no appendix in the back with discography and important dates but still thoroughly enjoyable reading
Plus Ozzy gives credit to others throughout the book where it's due and hardly has a bad word to say of anyone
f_darkbladeus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:07:44 pm »

No, his book does not have a discography, but Wiki does  ::smile. There are ad nauseum other books written by bandmates that have that in it, including rare releases. Maybe he thought "why recreate the wheel."

I think this was about the man named Ozzy. and I agree, there is much he says that is very respectful and kind, and he really does build up others (maybe to the surprise of those 'others' fans who seem to enjoy tearing him down).

I didn't get the disjointed part...i thought it was well written. i had so many laughs Shocked). and it was nice to spend some time with Ozzy. it's the closest this woman will ever get to the man...and it was better than standing side stage Shocked). though i wouldn't sneeze at the opportunity, ya know?

::animatedsmile

---
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 02:32:53 pm »

hey people .. i find super kid guitarist u must see .. he is 12 and he playing only 14 months and he shredding the guitar like herman li http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbJPIq-4b-4 omfg .. best .. do you think too?and on youtube he is HuhHuh??lashguitarist?HuhHuh? so maybe he want has nickname lash ... and ozzy is great .. best singer of history
f_darkbladeus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 05:07:10 pm »

::pouting::poutingMonday, Monday...da-da-da-da-da-da...so good to me...da-da-da-da-da-da...::pouting::pouting

I AM OZZY hits  the US people...and it's a cool read. I have one signed from the UK like I said, now it's time to get one from the US to add to my collection!

---
And Ozzofblizzard, you really should not be smearing this stupid stuff all over the site. It's a bit much don't you think?

---
f_darkbladeus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 12:56:37 am »

The Today Show: Interview with Ozzy on I Am Ozzy (click here to view)

xxx---xxx---xxx---xxx::fingerxxx---xxx---xxx---xxx::fingerxxx---xxx---xxx---xxx

---
jahwoo_fka_poseurpunk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 05:41:54 am »

It was a great read imo 5*s and would make for a good read for anyone fan or non fan. Interesting the roots of black sabbath and where their sound ultimately came from...the story about randy nearly brought tears to my eyes and I wasn't even an ozzy fan back when that happened...i.e. i'm not one of those "randy is god" people.

also crazy the stuff sharon and ozzy put each other through and they somehow came through on the otherside...makes my family disfunction seem tame by comparsion..but than whose wouldn't  be?

anywho...excellent book...I wonder how the writing process went..if ozzy told his stories and the dude who wrote it with him transcribed everything or if it is as it came out of ozzys mouth.
f_darkbladeus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 05:20:32 am »

I was surprised to hear about him getting on top of a ski lift when he was f*d up. kind of a weird thing to stick in my head, but of everything he shared in the book that was over the top for me. It sounds like he was kind of nutzoid on amphetamines or something.

Rudy Sarzo published a book about his time in the band with Randy and Ozzy that behind I Am Ozzy is my favorite book about Ozzy. Rudy talks alot about Ozzy and his mental breakdowns. Probably some from the drugs but it sounds like also from fame, his lack of self-esteem, his difficulty being a father to his children and a husband to his wife Thelma because he was a) not given breaks to be at home and b) thinking very self-centeredly and c) cheating on his wife.

Something tells me that down deep inside of Ozzy is a man for whom commitment means a great deal (sometimes), and his lack of it on some level did not sit well with him. On the other hand he is someone who deeply lives in the moment. It is like the adage of the two wolfs within.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:04:35 am by f_darkbladeus » Logged

---
MattSabbath13
Metalhead til Dead
Community

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 08:10:43 am »

I'm not a big reader but I'm a huge Ozzy fan so I just had to get his book.  It didn't feel like a book to me.  I felt like I was sitting in my living room with Ozzy while he was just telling me life stories.  I've read it 3 times lol.  He has quite an amazing life.  Coming from a dirt poor childhood with misdiagnosed learning disabilities and mixing in with the wrong crowd.  It's truely incredible that he has gone on to be so successful.  Back in the day, my parents did not approve of my listening to Ozzy with the drugs and the questionable music content but I'm glad I was sneaking to the store and buying his records cd's and tapes.  Ozzy truely is an inspiration.  You can come from such a low and get back on your feet.  Ozzy should be dead or in prison, but he endured, he perservered and he lives on to inspire people.  He's made tremendous mistakes but has always fought back to become stronger than ever.  I recommend this book to not only Ozzy fans but to his haters and to the average joe that might not be into his music or his television show.  You can learn a lot from this book.  I know if I'm ever in any kind of trouble or feeling down, I can always think about something Ozzy has gone through and tell myself, you know what things aren't so bad.  I can get through this.

See you in the darkness wanker! ::finger
f_darkbladeus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 12:49:26 am »

Well said MattSabbath...that was my sense of it too. I always wanted to spend an afternoon with Ozzy, and this book is the closest this woman will likely ever come to doing that. I loved the story about his mothers teeth. Probably already said it somewhere in this post, but that was hilarious! You know, he is a very likable guy. Never seems to have gotten the arrogant attitude some can when fame hits. He's pretty honest about so many things. You've read it more times than me though. Three, wow. I read it once, then never have made it cover to cover again. I just read pieces here and there. Maybe I should just start from the beginning all over again.

---
MattSabbath13
Metalhead til Dead
Community

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 03:47:20 pm »

Well said MattSabbath...that was my sense of it too. I always wanted to spend an afternoon with Ozzy, and this book is the closest this woman will likely ever come to doing that. I loved the story about his mothers teeth. Probably already said it somewhere in this post, but that was hilarious! You know, he is a very likable guy. Never seems to have gotten the arrogant attitude some can when fame hits. He's pretty honest about so many things. You've read it more times than me though. Three, wow. I read it once, then never have made it cover to cover again. I just read pieces here and there. Maybe I should just start from the beginning all over again.

OH yeah  I recommend atleast one more cover to cover.  It's so entertaining.  I know I said this before but it felt like he was speaking to me and I'm sure a lot of others felt like it too.  That's how you can tell it's a good read.  That would be cool to spend an afternoon with Ozzy.  It's a shame people over the years had gotten the wrong idea about him.  His whole persona (as was Black Sabbath's) was to write scary music.  People like scary movies so why not make scary music for people.  I think if there weren't so many narrow minded jesus freaks (I'm catholic but not a jesus freak) Ozzy could have had the all out popularity of a Madonna or a Beatle.  I'm sure he is more than satisfied with how things went though.  He's become one of the most important parts in music history.

See you in the darkness wanker! ::finger
f_darkbladeus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 01:39:08 am »

I try to start it again but find myself skipping all over the book to find things randomly. it's hilarious. i must have ADD or something.

---
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: