HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wacken 2010  (Read 1908 times)
DreadLord344
UP THE IRONS!!!
Community

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2010, 05:14:17 pm »

http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2010/main-bands/billing-2010/

See Kataklysm, Motley Crue?  Lucky guys get to fly in only days before Ozzfest...because there is only going to be 6 dates.  Period.  End of story.  I could see Kataklysm missing a few days but the co-headliner?  No way.

Fucking ticket prices are all in Euros...

I hate, therefore, I am.
highrise
Community

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:57:12 pm »

http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2010/main-bands/billing-2010/

See Kataklysm, Motley Crue?  Lucky guys get to fly in only days before Ozzfest...because there is only going to be 6 dates.  Period.  End of story.  I could see Kataklysm missing a few days but the co-headliner?  No way.

Fucking ticket prices are all in Euros...
what a show that would be........

Never try, you either do it or don't waste your time.
da_wizard
spreading his magic
Community

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:14:54 pm »

dude......I have to move to Germany......thats an insane line-up.......Europe has the best festivals.....those lucky bastards

alcohol is not a toy.......it's a tool....to be used by responsible drunks
DirtButton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 10:22:37 pm »

I'm kinda suprised nobody has tried to do that here in the states.
Crazy_eyes
I'm the king of Ozzfest
Community

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 10:28:08 pm »

I'll get something like that eventually.

Nando
Community

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 10:29:11 pm »

Honestly dude, that would not be nearly as successful here in the states as it is in Europe. Metal is bigger over there than it is here and traveling to a destination even like Wacken is easier in Europe with their awesome rail system than it is here with our bad one. But I would like to see something like this be attempted on possibly a slightly smaller scale. It would not be as big or successful but maybe it could grow over years.

Slave to the power of death
DamnYankee07
Community

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 11:26:31 pm »

It would be nice to have a destination festival in the US for metal. Yes, maybe it wouldn't be "quite" as successful as Wacken, but I think it could still be successful. I know if announced soon enough I could save money and probably make a trip in the  US, but I know at this point there's no way I could make it to Wacken. It sucks, but it is what it is.  Undecided

dcoctavarium
Pumpkin Head # 1
Community

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 03:47:45 am »

Cry I still can't believe I passed on WOA 3yrs ago...

DreadLord344
UP THE IRONS!!!
Community

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 08:44:09 am »

Honestly dude, that would not be nearly as successful here in the states as it is in Europe. Metal is bigger over there than it is here and traveling to a destination even like Wacken is easier in Europe with their awesome rail system than it is here with our bad one. But I would like to see something like this be attempted on possibly a slightly smaller scale. It would not be as big or successful but maybe it could grow over years.

It really depends on where it was hosted and who would be playing. If it was announced in January and scheduled for late summer people would have plenty of time to make travel accommodations.  The thing that makes traveling in Europe seem easier is that their countries are all about the size of our states.  We have functioning train systems and railways, cross country buses, etc.  If it was driving distance from a transportation hub like Grand Central in NY (driving distance meaning less than 4 hours) then I could see it working.

The main thing with doing something like this (I've been looking into it for 3 years) is getting permits (liquor permits can be a pain in the ass) and finding a place big enough for parking, patrons, vendors, concession, stage, and the bands' buses and whatever else.  If there's no electricity around you have to make sure you have enough generators to power everything.  Build the stage, mark off campsites, sell tickets.  You've also gotta talk to the fire marshal, police department, and a hospital(paramedics) about getting everything you need from them.

Food stands, merchandise vendors, etc are all a pain in the ass to get, and a lot of times will back out of something during its inaugural run.  Ticket sales can be hit or miss (though at least for the first year tickets would probably sell out just because something like this hasn't happened since Woodstock...and that wasn't even all metal).

On top of everything else, after going through all the behind the scenes bullshit...you've gotta get the bands.  After getting the bands you've gotta make a schedule (being sure to comply with any local noise ordinances, should your location be near a residential area).

Probably the most important part about running a giant concert- the fucking stage crew.  A lot of bands don't come with their own (very often a venue will hire out their own people...it's actually becoming kinda rare for a band to have a crew of their own) and if the guys you pick can't get shit done FAST between sets it could turn into a clusterfuck.

Go watch Wayne's World 2...it's not even close to what setting up an actual concert, but it's a good movie.

I hate, therefore, I am.
Skull And Crossbones
Community

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 12:48:36 pm »

it'd be fuckin sweet to go to wacken.  and i dont know what people are talkin about here, there are plenty of 2/3 day destination festivals on the U.S.  its just that the line ups are never really as good as wacken's thats all.

DreadLord344
UP THE IRONS!!!
Community

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 01:16:11 pm »

it'd be fuckin sweet to go to wacken.  and i dont know what people are talkin about here, there are plenty of 2/3 day destination festivals on the U.S.  its just that the line ups are never really as good as wacken's thats all.

They must do a shitty job of advertising...other than the gathering of the trailer trash I can't name any.

I hate, therefore, I am.
sweet_dark
Community

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 01:23:44 pm »

I have to go to Wacken before I die...

Skull And Crossbones
Community

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 01:49:16 pm »

it'd be fuckin sweet to go to wacken.  and i dont know what people are talkin about here, there are plenty of 2/3 day destination festivals on the U.S.  its just that the line ups are never really as good as wacken's thats all.

They must do a shitty job of advertising...other than the gathering of the trailer trash I can't name any.

although the 2010 new england metal and hardcore festival already past, its still and annual festival

Theres probably more that i cant think of right now, or more/new festivals coming soon in the summer.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:59:54 pm by Skull And Crossbones » Logged

zfw
Numb-Nutz
Community

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 02:36:35 pm »

I have to go to Wacken before I die...
me too......

DreadLord344
UP THE IRONS!!!
Community

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 06:35:05 pm »

it'd be fuckin sweet to go to wacken.  and i dont know what people are talkin about here, there are plenty of 2/3 day destination festivals on the U.S.  its just that the line ups are never really as good as wacken's thats all.

although the 2010 new england metal and hardcore festival already past, its still and annual festival

Theres probably more that i cant think of right now, or more/new festivals coming soon in the summer.

1. Well, a few of those aren't too far for me to get to, thanks for the info!

2. Check the venues, a lot of them are indoors at a club or hall where you have to just come back the next day...not exactly what I was thinking.

3.  The advertising is REALLY minimal...fuck the first poster even spelled their own website wrong.  A lot of them don't even have a website or are using MySpace as their primary online service.

Good of you to put in the effort of finding them, but only 1 or 2 are really what we're talking about, and none of them have any really big names to draw in the masses.  I can picture a few hundred people attending a couple of these, not the 40,000+ that Wacken gets.  That's what we want, something that big with staying power, where you hear the name and are like 'yea, can't fucking wait'.

I hate, therefore, I am.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: