HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latimer's Mercy  (Read 3655 times)
AlpineValleyGirl
I Get Things Done!
Community

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 08:26:57 pm »

no its not.  my first comment was responding to the Terry Sciavo comment that MattSabbath made.  period.

I wanted that to be my final word on it but then your reply really got under my skin.  you got down on me for comparing Terry Sciavo's situation and my father's death to Latimer's case, which I did not.  have you looked into the mountain of information available to find out exactly what Robert Latimer has been going through for the last 30 years?  he shows no remorse because he sincerely believes he made the right decision.

and btw;  cerebral palsy is not a mental retardation.  its an incurable, progressively degenerative and painful muscular disorder.  there was nothing wrong with her mind, she just lacked the ability to communicate well because of her inability to control her muscles.

I still do not advocate euthanasia of 12 year olds with cerebral palsy....but I do advocate leniency for Latimer.

Helping My Boss Find His Own Ass with Both Hands since 1986!
f_darkbladeus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 12:27:57 am »

no its not.  my first comment was responding to the Terry Sciavo comment that MattSabbath made.  period.

I wanted that to be my final word on it but then your reply really got under my skin.  you got down on me for comparing Terry Sciavo's situation and my father's death to Latimer's case, which I did not.  have you looked into the mountain of information available to find out exactly what Robert Latimer has been going through for the last 30 years?  he shows no remorse because he sincerely believes he made the right decision.

and btw;  cerebral palsy is not a mental retardation.  its an incurable, progressively degenerative and painful muscular disorder.  there was nothing wrong with her mind, she just lacked the ability to communicate well because of her inability to control her muscles.

I still do not advocate euthanasia of 12 year olds with cerebral palsy....but I do advocate leniency for Latimer.

i hope we have established there is not disrespect but rather miscommunication and differences of opinion going on. i did not "get down on you" about what you said, i asked questions trying to understand what you were saying.

regarding what I said about mental retardation, this is a quote from her mother: "When we very first took Tracy home we knew that she had brain damage but they said it might be very mild or it might be worse. We ... had every hopes that ... she would be able to go to school but would just be maybe slow in school." tracy was mentally retarded and had cp.

anyways, some people reply to chronic stress and challenge in their lives by developing depression. sometimes that lead to not just suicidal, but also homicidal thoughts. latimer and his wife both talked about killing her. he acted on it, probably with his wife's general consent. he said "he had also considered other methods of killing Tracy, including Valium overdose and "shooting her in the head". it was premeditated.

maybe his family needed more support then they got. maybe it wasn't offered. maybe they felt what her life represented was a mistake from the beginning. maybe they rejected options that would have represented more humane results for Tracy because of their thinking process or guilt as parents to let her be cared for elsewhere.

death and tragedy are a part of life. people were working on bringing her medical relief. her pain from her hips, her issues all were common to those suffering from CP to the extent she was. the surgeries were offered not experimentally but routinely to help with those symptoms. she was not always in chronic pain, she had times when she experienced it. 

it gives me the willies to think about killing your own child. that's profanity to me. some people hold their children while they have far less hope than she had and watch them slip away from leukemia or cancer, never coming to the point of homicide. those children are suffering too. the whole thing is just abhorrent to me. but then i am one who says a prayer for roadkill, no matter what kind of creature it is. even for the butterflies that hit my windshield. i consider life a gift not to be taken away unless there is mal-intent (a rapist, burglar, and so on) and it would be in self-defense.

---
I'll believe it the day Ozzy sings a real love song. ::animatedlaugh
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: