HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So what's your opinion of this new guitarist Gus G?  (Read 2167 times)
f_darkbladeus
Community

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2010, 11:32:10 pm »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Hands down he's an amazing guitarist, very versatile, and 'gets' RR and JEL solo's and the thing that I found stunning in them and can translate that out to the fans live. I wanna see that set free!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanna hear what HE has inside...aside of shredding and constant driving metal. i love the potential in him. That he CAN slip into something so breathtaking then get right back into a riff that is hard driving.

what do you think?

---
I'll believe it the day Ozzy sings a real love song. ::animatedlaugh
MattSabbath13
Metalhead til Dead
Community

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 01:01:23 pm »

So far so good even though a lot of stuff sounds Zakkish on the new disc but I will judge him better when I see him at Ozzfest in Pittsburgh.  That's how you can truely measure a guitarist, what he can do live.

See you in the darkness wanker! ::finger
f_darkbladeus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 05:06:55 am »

So far so good even though a lot of stuff sounds Zakkish on the new disc but I will judge him better when I see him at Ozzfest in Pittsburgh.  That's how you can truely measure a guitarist, what he can do live.

Agree. Have you been checking out the video's people are posting of the shows? He spins your head around. In a way not many musicians do. He plays RR beautifully. He 'gets' it. More than anyone I have heard play with Ozzy aside of Jake E Lee. I mean, he stumbles on notes and parts sometimes, but he has alot of the technical sounds just as they were with Randy. It's amazing! Ozzy mentioned that in the news...the more I see him from live shows, the more I see what Ozzy means. Gus excites the F* out of me from a musical standpoint. He has that same brilliance Randy has (not had, because his spirit lives on) :0). I'm so incredibly happy for Ozzy. The man is gold, you know? Who else has his uncanny ability to spot and set these talents loose on the world through his music, bringing his fans to ecstasy with sounds that change all the time but are always guaranteed to r-o-c-k? Only Ozzy. The dimpled boy has lived a charmed life. I love the man! I love his music!

And, the reason you 'hear' Zakk on the tracks (at least what I heard from the news) was because Zakk had laid the tracks down already in the studio before going on tour. so when Ozzy got tired of waiting for Zakk to focus on the album and he ended up bringing Gus on board, it said 'Gus pretty much kept the riffs as written in deference to Zakk. I think he personalized things somewhat. A conservative and wise "transition" if you will for people who loved Zakk. He (Gus) is a chamelion...he 'gets' Zakk, he 'gets' Randy, he 'gets' Jake E Lee (sort of, I don't hear the twang that JEL put on the threads such as on Killer of Giants from Gus, but he does note for note catch the solo's which is FAR more then I've heard in years!!!).

He's very versatile. I am very very very interested to hear what he can bring to the table /// aside of \\\ "shredding" or WTF EVER. I want to fly with him when he sets the musical genie free. I pray he honors Ozzy and the history of Rock n Roll and all musicians like him of high calibre, and makes that one album that Ozzy fans have been waiting for since Blizzard and Diary. I am convinced he has what it takes to do that, he really does. Amazingly enough, he's here. Now it's just a prayer that he relaxes enough and can set free what's inside without concern to be 'like' anyone else but himself. not even 'like' he is in Firewind. just whatever comes to mind...regardless. and REALLY blows our minds.

I also pray he has plays solo during Ozzfest San Bernadino, and just shows the frigging whole crowd what he's got inside. Even if it's just a ten minute break for the band. Fuck the crowds...I just want him to show me what he's got inside. I think it's ALOT. It's been SUCH a long time since I've been around talent in the vein of a prodigy like Randy Rhoads...I feel like 'shiver me timbers.' I'm excited. So you'll have to tell me what you think after Ozzfest, if you see that same brilliance. LOL

This show is going to be bad@ss. I am SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 05:23:58 am by f_darkbladeus » Logged

---
f_darkbladeus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 09:10:42 pm »

So much wasted wind ... so little discussion of what Ozzy is all about. Only one other "fan" has something to say about Gus? Wow.

---
Solitaryman72

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 09:24:35 pm »

Don't compare Gus to Randy or anyone that has played with Ozzy. Randy " IS " the best guitarist to play with Ozzy. Randy is uncomparable. Gus was good. How his and the drummers solo went was very original. I was very impressed. He did a great job not only with Ozzys' solo stuff but also Sabbath. He upstaged Zakk in Camden, NJ as far as I am concerned. I am not a Zakk Wylde fan.
f_darkbladeus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 04:08:19 pm »

Roll Eyes

He is brilliant. Who should I compare him to if not the other guitarists of Ozzy? As for the comparisions, please don't push your agenda on me. Randy was a beautiful guitarist, don't get me wrong. As a huge music lover, I loved his sounds for the short time he was with us with Ozzy. He was fantastic. So was Jake E Lee. Not as fantastic, but close. If saying I think Gus has the same sort of brilliance inside of him bothers you that much I don't know what to say. While keeping your eyes on the past you may not see the present, and the wonder right here with Ozzy today. I see it in his manner and in his playing. And that, my dear, I know for a FACT would be so NOT what Randy would slap you or anyone on the back for doing.

That's not to say I'm creeping out with my candles thinking Gus is a reincarnation of Randy. But on the other hand I don't deify Randy so much that I can't discuss the superior talent of a musician playing with Ozzy.

I stand by my statement: I believe Gus is capable of bringing magic like the early days. I say it because so many fans are a) unwilling to give him a shot, b) unaware of the talent the guy has, and c) crying for music like there was "in the old days." I don't think it has to be the Daisley/Kerslake and Randy mix for that to be the case. I think Blasko and Clufetos and Wakeman and Gus HAVE THAT MAGIC. If they wanted to bring it like it was, they could hands down. Period.

As for his solo and Tommy's, and their combined playing of all at Ozzfest...well, the fan reviews say it all. They were all blown away. Like I said? Gus, and Tommy C, and Blasko, and Adam Wakement are the shitz.

---
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: