HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deore review  (Read 2248 times)
Firebird81

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2010, 12:48:18 pm »

We got there at about 10:30, before the gates opened. The VIP parking has changed dramatically with several areas cordoned off with chain link fences for RVs and camping. Of course you gotta hang around and tailgate, so we didn't get in until California Wildebeast was playing on the 2nd stage. They didn't sound bad and the blond onstage with the video camera was hotter than hell.Pretty lightweight for second stage, tho. At this point, there really wasn't very many people there and the parking lot still looked largely empty. Goatwhore then came on and tore the place up, and I'm not a death metal fan at all. But they were good. The Saviors sounded pretty thrashy and were fun, the lead singer was fucked up, tho, which just made it even funner! Then...the band everyone wanted to see on second stage showed up...the mighty EXODUS! And they ripped it up! This was when people started POURING in to the second stage. Lotta glam rockers, 80's hair band fans this year and the lead singer got frustrated with the lack of activity, so he ordered a Wall of Death up and that was the end of the girly-men. Great show! Drowning Pool can lick my nuts and I've seen BLS may times already, so we headed over to the main stage to see Nonpoint....

And this is where my annual Ozzfest complaint comes in...Sharon, quit making fans choose which band they want to see more! Finish second stage up BEFORE the main stage bands start!!! Nonpoint put on a good show..in front of about 1000 people in an amphitheater that seats 65,000. BLS was STILL playing well into Devildriver's set!! And Devildriver was THE show to see. They were halfway done before the crowd finally came over. More on the crowd later... DO yourself a favor and go see devildriver's set. You can see BLS every.single.year. on Ozzfest. Devildriver is worth checking out. Halford...FUCKING KILLER! Great show! This was an introduction for most of us to Rob's band and they delivered, belting out songs heavier than anything Priest has ever done.

Before I get to the last two acts, I'm going to comment on the crowd, because up to this point it was by far the smallest crowd I've ever seen at Ozzfest. The lawn was only about 10 people deep and where we were in Loge had thousands of empty seats. They were actually selling pit upgrades from the lawn for $20 all day. And there were a LOT of gorgeous women dressed in bikinis and short shorts,or less, which was a plus and expected...considering who the next band was. But, this crowd was also pretty detached. There were the usual Ozzfest crazies, but we were obviously sharing our concert with a LOT of people who were hair metal fans with no interest in any of the other bands playing. And it was at this point that the place FINALLY filled up, because these people were here to see one band.....Motley Crue.....

Motley Crue...where do I begin. It's been a looooonnng time since this band put out its last real metal album, Shout at the Devil, and thankfully they focused on a lot of material from those days. The band was a tight unit, played an awesome show, the crowd finally woke up and got out of it's seats and started singing along, which was good, because Vince Neil had absolutely no interest or ability to sing most of the songs. He was horrible, sounded like a little girl, sang random words and basically did everything possible to ruin his bandmates' performance. He's a very lucky man, because the rest of the band, especially MICK, was talented enough to overshadow his horrible performance.

One benefit of this crowd, was that they remember Ozzy, love Ozzy and actually stayed to see OZZY. And this brings me to what was unquestionably not only the best performance of the day, but easily the best performance Ozzy has given in 20 years!! An energetic Ozzy who reminded me of the man he was in the 80's, sang every song damned near PERFECTLY, no vocal tracks, no thorazine shuffle, no geriatric frog leaps. You could understand what he was saying between songs. He played a few songs he hasn't played in decades, like Killer of Giants. Ozzy both looked and sounded absolutely awesome. His new guitarist was great. Crazy Train was his encore and he brought out that Japanese kid from the youtube videos to play the song! He even picked the kid up by one leg like he used to do with Randy while he was playing his solo. It was great!

There was a guy doing sign language at the side of the stage and he was funny as hell, but I really gotta ask....why would a deaf person go to concert?Huh

Anyway, $13 beers were a joke. Security was laid back for once. The metal community definitely moved on from Motley Crue a loooong time ago. But there are still a lot us old farts who remember when they did play metal and still like those old albums. Unfortunately, this year's ozzfest highlighted what is the deepest divide in the metal world....the hair band fans vs. the real metal fans. This is a huge disconnect unlike any I've ever seen. It's a completely different group of people. That is a wound which will never heal and led to the most divided crowd I have ever seen.
Crazy_eyes
I'm the king of Ozzfest
Community

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 01:06:07 pm »

It's people like you who are still living in the 80's back when people there to see one band would all be on the left side of the venue and people to see another would be on the right side.  It's people like you who think that if they don't like it then it sucks or it's not real metal.  So, FUCK YOU!!!!

FarBeyondMetal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 01:28:43 pm »

Actually, he's right so FUCK YOU Tongue  The only saving grace of the fest was that, as the OP said, Exodus killed and Ozzy was on FIRE!  Other than that, there was a fraction of the people normally there, the second stage didn't have enough heavy hitters to attract the younger metal crowd, and the glamfags were everywhere.   I saw so many girlfriends who thought they could hack it at the second stage being carried out by their man, barely conscious.  I guess that's what happens when the glam fags try to partake in some real metal  Grin  Lots of people stayed for Ozzy but you could see the glam fags leaving in droves after their beloved Crue finished up.   I just feel like there are a thousand bands that could have been in Crue's spot that would have attracted people that were more sympathetic to the rest of ozzfest instead of shitting all over it  Shocked
stevepwn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 01:43:07 pm »

what about skeletonwitch and kataklysm
FarBeyondMetal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 01:46:38 pm »

I completely missed Skeleton Witch and only got to see the last two songs of Kataklysm's set.  Why they would put those two bands in the beginning and give bands like California Wildebeest and Saviours better spots I will never know...  California Wildebeest was second stage opening material if I've ever seen it, they sucked! 
ozzycrue
Community

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 03:05:42 pm »

We got there at about 10:30, before the gates opened. The VIP parking has changed dramatically with several areas cordoned off with chain link fences for RVs and camping. Of course you gotta hang around and tailgate, so we didn't get in until California Wildebeast was playing on the 2nd stage. They didn't sound bad and the blond onstage with the video camera was hotter than hell.Pretty lightweight for second stage, tho. At this point, there really wasn't very many people there and the parking lot still looked largely empty. Goatwhore then came on and tore the place up, and I'm not a death metal fan at all. But they were good. The Saviors sounded pretty thrashy and were fun, the lead singer was fucked up, tho, which just made it even funner! Then...the band everyone wanted to see on second stage showed up...the mighty EXODUS! And they ripped it up! This was when people started POURING in to the second stage. Lotta glam rockers, 80's hair band fans this year and the lead singer got frustrated with the lack of activity, so he ordered a Wall of Death up and that was the end of the girly-men. Great show! Drowning Pool can lick my nuts and I've seen BLS may times already, so we headed over to the main stage to see Nonpoint....

And this is where my annual Ozzfest complaint comes in...Sharon, quit making fans choose which band they want to see more! Finish second stage up BEFORE the main stage bands start!!! Nonpoint put on a good show..in front of about 1000 people in an amphitheater that seats 65,000. BLS was STILL playing well into Devildriver's set!! And Devildriver was THE show to see. They were halfway done before the crowd finally came over. More on the crowd later... DO yourself a favor and go see devildriver's set. You can see BLS every.single.year. on Ozzfest. Devildriver is worth checking out. Halford...FUCKING KILLER! Great show! This was an introduction for most of us to Rob's band and they delivered, belting out songs heavier than anything Priest has ever done.

Before I get to the last two acts, I'm going to comment on the crowd, because up to this point it was by far the smallest crowd I've ever seen at Ozzfest. The lawn was only about 10 people deep and where we were in Loge had thousands of empty seats. They were actually selling pit upgrades from the lawn for $20 all day. And there were a LOT of gorgeous women dressed in bikinis and short shorts,or less, which was a plus and expected...considering who the next band was. But, this crowd was also pretty detached. There were the usual Ozzfest crazies, but we were obviously sharing our concert with a LOT of people who were hair metal fans with no interest in any of the other bands playing. And it was at this point that the place FINALLY filled up, because these people were here to see one band.....Motley Crue.....

Motley Crue...where do I begin. It's been a looooonnng time since this band put out its last real metal album, Shout at the Devil, and thankfully they focused on a lot of material from those days. The band was a tight unit, played an awesome show, the crowd finally woke up and got out of it's seats and started singing along, which was good, because Vince Neil had absolutely no interest or ability to sing most of the songs. He was horrible, sounded like a little girl, sang random words and basically did everything possible to ruin his bandmates' performance. He's a very lucky man, because the rest of the band, especially MICK, was talented enough to overshadow his horrible performance.

One benefit of this crowd, was that they remember Ozzy, love Ozzy and actually stayed to see OZZY. And this brings me to what was unquestionably not only the best performance of the day, but easily the best performance Ozzy has given in 20 years!! An energetic Ozzy who reminded me of the man he was in the 80's, sang every song damned near PERFECTLY, no vocal tracks, no thorazine shuffle, no geriatric frog leaps. You could understand what he was saying between songs. He played a few songs he hasn't played in decades, like Killer of Giants. Ozzy both looked and sounded absolutely awesome. His new guitarist was great. Crazy Train was his encore and he brought out that Japanese kid from the youtube videos to play the song! He even picked the kid up by one leg like he used to do with Randy while he was playing his solo. It was great!

There was a guy doing sign language at the side of the stage and he was funny as hell, but I really gotta ask....why would a deaf person go to concert?Huh

Anyway, $13 beers were a joke. Security was laid back for once. The metal community definitely moved on from Motley Crue a loooong time ago. But there are still a lot us old farts who remember when they did play metal and still like those old albums. Unfortunately, this year's ozzfest highlighted what is the deepest divide in the metal world....the hair band fans vs. the real metal fans. This is a huge disconnect unlike any I've ever seen. It's a completely different group of people. That is a wound which will never heal and led to the most divided crowd I have ever seen.
this review is bullshit and a lie the venue was packed all day they had to open up the parking lot across the street there were so many people! Its was a great ozzfest and i saw young and old people singing along with motley crue not only glam rockers. the lawn was full 3 songs into devil drivers set
Firebird81

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 03:25:53 pm »

Some of you really need to learn some reading comprehension! I didn't say only glam rockers were cheering Motley Crue, so don't get your glitter panties in a bunch. I said the glamrockers weren't the least bit interested in ANY other band there. They were all sitting down during Devildriver's set. I said the crowd missed half their set because BLS was still playing on the second stage---a stupid practice. The second stage should be finished before any band comes on the main stage. The second stage didn't even get a crowd past the sound booth until halfway thru exodus' set and didn't even come close to filling up until Drowning Pool came on. And if you think that lawn was full, you've never seen a full lawn at Devore.
Firebird81

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 03:46:22 pm »

I completely missed Skeleton Witch and only got to see the last two songs of Kataklysm's set.  Why they would put those two bands in the beginning and give bands like California Wildebeest and Saviours better spots I will never know...  California Wildebeest was second stage opening material if I've ever seen it, they sucked! 

I missed them too.
pack1pres
Community

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 05:05:10 pm »

Seems like the person posting this review wanted a devide and then found 1... words like 80's metal and the "real" metal... last I checked anything with the word metal in it is "real" metal, and we are all METAL FANS!  The open minded metal fans probably found that some bands they did not go there to see turned out pretty good, the close minded ones saw the devide and helped make a devide. And the Vince Niel thing is nothing new he always lets the audience sing like 50 percent of the lyrics while he just tosses in words on time to keep it going.  I can also tell you that the show never sold out so you were completely right about the lack of a real big crowd.  I think the lack of an extra draw from the younger crowd is because of the lack of a younger crowd favorite headlining the second stage. BLS is good but it's fan base is alot ogf Ozzzy fans and therefore BLS does not bring it's own draw to the show.  I am looking forward to Chicago

southboundsuarez

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 05:34:48 pm »

Deaf People are making a larger and larger presence into the music scene ...... especially live hard and heavy driven music that is played loud.
It makes sense they would enjoy that in which they can feel!
Besides, there's many different levels of hearing impairment.
There's a large demographic of  younger "nonhearing" metal fans, many of whom that may feel like they don't belong to that pop culture part of mainstream society.
Also,,, the Southern California's Inland Empire happens to have a large community of young deaf people due to the fact that Riverside is home to one of the most prestigous national Deaf Colleges.
That fucking deaf interpeter dude fucking rocked his motherfucking ass off! He was not only singing along with the words in American sign language but his form and body movement represent the nuances and rhythm of the song and the air guitar and drum fills express the voicings of the particular instruments. This guy was up there for the whole fuckin show and performed just as hard as any musician if not more so ! The deaf rock!!!!
Indeed this show had a diverse audience , even old mofos like me (with their kids) who were here back in the day at the original US festival!

Crazy_eyes
I'm the king of Ozzfest
Community

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 06:01:56 pm »

Seems like the person posting this review wanted a devide and then found 1... words like 80's metal and the "real" metal... last I checked anything with the word metal in it is "real" metal, and we are all METAL FANS!  The open minded metal fans probably found that some bands they did not go there to see turned out pretty good, the close minded ones saw the devide and helped make a devide. And the Vince Niel thing is nothing new he always lets the audience sing like 50 percent of the lyrics while he just tosses in words on time to keep it going.  I can also tell you that the show never sold out so you were completely right about the lack of a real big crowd.  I think the lack of an extra draw from the younger crowd is because of the lack of a younger crowd favorite headlining the second stage. BLS is good but it's fan base is alot ogf Ozzzy fans and therefore BLS does not bring it's own draw to the show.  I am looking forward to Chicago
You and I are exactly alike musically.  Also, if you'd paid attention to Crue.  The only part of them that ever was glam metal was thier look and they don't dress like women at thier live shows anymore.  Firebird, you are a metal newb and need to grow-up.

DarkOzzy23

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 06:45:13 pm »

It's GREAT to hear how good OZZY is singing & looking. I CAN NOT wait until Sunday!
Firebird81

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 07:13:20 pm »

You and I are exactly alike musically.  Also, if you'd paid attention to Crue.  The only part of them that ever was glam metal was thier look and they don't dress like women at thier live shows anymore.  Firebird, you are a metal newb and need to grow-up.

Crazy eyes, did you even READ my review?Huh Or are you incapable of undestanding all the big words??? I said Motley Crue put on an awesome show. Vince Neil's inability to sing the lyrics to his own songs was the only down side. And he's always done that. His voice lacks the power present on the albums too live. I LIKE Motley Crue. I've ALWAYS liked Motley Crue. Where did I call them glam metal?Huh Motley Crue is a heavy metal band that pretty much left metal behind, starting with Theatre of Pain and fully with Girls, Girls, Girls. They did it to reach a wider audience and make more money. They've come back around some recently and I was excited to see them.

I can see where my comment about hair metal fans vs real metal fans can be misunderstood. I wasn't comparing the music. I was comparing the fans. There's a difference, but I take responsibility for offending your delicate senses. What i meant to say was people who just like hair metal versus real heavy metal fans who like metal in general. And there is a very clear difference between those people. And, what I saw was a lot of people you normally wouldn't see at Ozzfest---I've gone to just about all of them---and those people were didn't seem to be getting into ANY of the other bands playing---shit, I was the only one in my entire seating section standing for devildriver or Halford. They all just sat there all over the entire loge and orchestra sections and half the seats were empty. But they all got up for Crue.
Crazy_eyes
I'm the king of Ozzfest
Community

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 07:38:52 pm »

I thought you were saying that bands that were hair metal, glam metal, etc, weren't real metal and that's primairly what I was commenting on.  So there was a misunderstanding.

ed5150

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 08:18:15 pm »

This was my first Ozzfest experience.  Not because I didn't want to see others in the past, but just never had the $ or time to go.  This however was my 16th time seeing Crue (I've see every tour from Theater on except Girls Girls Girls).  The setlist they played is typical of the past 13 years. A bunch of songs off Feelgood, a few classics and a couple of new ones.  I thought their set was great until they played Dont Go Away Mad. That was when the crowd seemed to look at one another going "this is Ozzfest." The fact they played that SOS, and Home Sweet Home all in a row seemed to take away from their momentum to win over a not so typical Motley crowd.  Had they shifted to more of the SOTD or TFFL songs instead of those 3 I think their set would have been solid and they would have catered to the Ozzfest crowd. 

I only saw from Devil Driver on and thought they, Halford and of course Ozzy were incredible (I hadnt seen Ozzy live in 10 years). Had I not had my network crash on me, I would have been able to print my tickets earlier and seen some of the 2nd stage.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: