HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OZZFEST....without Ozzy?  (Read 3825 times)
da_wizard
spreading his magic
Community

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:01:57 pm »

I'm wondering if Ozzfest could happen this year without Ozzy?.....that maybe some other band takes over the spotlight and the headlining spot in place of "The Mad Man" or he only plays a select number of venues.
Ozzfest was created to help up and coming bands have their day in the limelight and to make a name for themselves....there is no reason that it couldn't happen without the Ozzman at the helm.....you know that the day will come when Ozzy has to hang it up and I would hope that his "FEST" would live on in his name for years after he is has retired.....I think if you bring together the right bands including some solid headliners.....the LEGACY could continue on......letting new bands cut their teeth and helping METAL spawn headbangers of the future......LONG LIVE OZZFEST....with or without (but never forgotten )The Godfather of Heavy Metal

alcohol is not a toy.......it's a tool....to be used by responsible drunks
AlpineValleyGirl
I Get Things Done!
Community

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 10:34:59 pm »

that practically happened one year, when Ozzy was sick on and off and missed several dates, even though the show went on for everyone else.  didn't Rob Halford stand in for some shows?

there's so many touring fests now, putting the Ozzfest name on one without Ozzy would be kind of foolish. 
mainly because everyone will just focus on comparing it to previous Ozzfests and all the other touring fests.
not like they don't already, though

Helping My Boss Find His Own Ass with Both Hands since 1986!
Crazy_eyes
I'm the king of Ozzfest
Community

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 11:40:16 pm »

everyone will just focus on comparing it to previous Ozzfests and all the other touring fests.
:agree:

Jayman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 03:40:13 am »

that practically happened one year, when Ozzy was sick on and off and missed several dates, even though the show went on for everyone else.  didn't Rob Halford stand in for some shows?

there's so many touring fests now, putting the Ozzfest name on one without Ozzy would be kind of foolish.  
mainly because everyone will just focus on comparing it to previous Ozzfests and all the other touring fests.

Practically?   It did happen one year.  Anybody remember 2006?  Ozzy only scheduled 10 dates and the rest of the tour went on with out him.  I was at 2 shows that had no Ozzy.  The Wiz said the Ozzfest camp is convinced that it won't sell without ozzy because ticket sales were low when they had System of a down as the headliner.  System of a down and Disturbed as the two top bands on the mainstage, are not exactly the measuring stick as to how a metal festival would sell in my opinion.  But they believe ozzfest can't sell without ozzy.   As much as I love Ozzy,  he isn't the only performer in the world that can sell out an ampitheater.  I believe the fest could do well without him if they put together the right kind of lineups.
Ozzy does typically miss a few dates on ozzfests.  Halford stood in for him at one show in 2004.  I was there, there were a lot of disappointed people at first.  But it was still a great set. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 04:07:07 am by Jayman » Logged
FIRSTOZZYFAN
INTERSTELLAR AXEMAN
Community

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 07:14:14 am »

I'm wondering if Ozzfest could happen this year without Ozzy?.....that maybe some other band takes over the spotlight and the headlining spot in place of "The Mad Man" or he only plays a select number of venues.
Ozzfest was created to help up and coming bands have their day in the limelight and to make a name for themselves....there is no reason that it couldn't happen without the Ozzman at the helm.....you know that the day will come when Ozzy has to hang it up and I would hope that his "FEST" would live on in his name for years after he is has retired.....I think if you bring together the right bands including some solid headliners.....the LEGACY could continue on......letting new bands cut their teeth and helping METAL spawn headbangers of the future......LONG LIVE OZZFEST....with or without (but never forgotten )The Godfather of Heavy Metal
There will never be a true OZZFEST without OZZY....ever.
An event like that would be called..(and you heard me coin it first...) NONzzfest Angry

( FOF can he heard whispering in hushed tones to the OZZFEST corner tap bouncer as they conspire to flag DA-Wizard and boot his ass onto the cold dark street...)...( for even THINKIN of this thread...)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 07:16:42 am by FIRSTOZZYFAN » Logged

Eye_Of_Horus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 01:07:54 pm »

who really cares ozzfest as a REAL ozzfest has been dead since 2007

Nando
Community

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 06:21:40 pm »

I could totally see it happen without him. I grew up knowing ozzfest as a touring metal festival more than an Ozzy Osbourne show anyway (I knew about Ozzfest before I knew about Ozzy). As long as the headliners are decent and they get good second stage bands then I'll always be up for it. But of course I'd like to see Ozzy doing it for as long as he can/wants

Slave to the power of death
Jeffsters
Community

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 07:00:05 pm »

agreed... long live ozzfest!!!!

::finger
Jayman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 01:32:47 pm »

There are some who think it's wrong to have ozzfest without ozzy.  It's just a matter of if you want the fest to die, or you want it to continue on.   Ozzy can't do that many dates anymore, so it's either no ozzfest, one date, or a handful of dates for now, until Ozzy retires. 
Piggy
Community

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 07:01:33 pm »

Quote from: FIRSTOZZYFAN
There will never be a true OZZFEST without OZZY....ever.

Agreed!  No Ozzy, No Ozzfest.
AlpineValleyGirl
I Get Things Done!
Community

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 09:19:35 pm »

There are some who think it's wrong to have ozzfest without ozzy.  It's just a matter of if you want the fest to die, or you want it to continue on.   Ozzy can't do that many dates anymore, so it's either no ozzfest, one date, or a handful of dates for now, until Ozzy retires. 

well, obviously he can.  he's about to start on his second trip around the world on this tour.  from what we're seeing from the OzTV stuff, he's looking pretty healthy too.  I think a handful of dates, spread across the country, wouldn't be a bad idea.

just as long as it includes Alpine Valley    Roll Eyes    Tongue    Wink

Helping My Boss Find His Own Ass with Both Hands since 1986!
IbanezJS

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 12:32:20 am »

An OZZFEST without Ozzy....Thats Mayhemfest.
Jayman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 02:47:44 am »

There are some who think it's wrong to have ozzfest without ozzy.  It's just a matter of if you want the fest to die, or you want it to continue on.   Ozzy can't do that many dates anymore, so it's either no ozzfest, one date, or a handful of dates for now, until Ozzy retires.  

well, obviously he can.  he's about to start on his second trip around the world on this tour.  from what we're seeing from the OzTV stuff, he's looking pretty healthy too.  I think a handful of dates, spread across the country, wouldn't be a bad idea.

just as long as it includes Alpine Valley    Roll Eyes    Tongue    Wink

20-30 consecutive dates outdoors in the summer time where supposedly his allergies become a major problem,  will most likely not happen again, regardless of the fact that he's doing a bunch of tourdates in other countries.   If it's not a problem for him, I'd have to wonder why hasn't he done an ozzfest tour since 2007.  The year before that he only did 10 dates also.  Everybody says a handful of dates is fine until they find out it's not coming anywhere near their city.   Grin    So the fest is virtually dead to most of the country who can't make the long trip to see it.  
I just don't understand why people would rather see the fest die than have it continue without ozzy.  yeah I know, it's called ozzfest.  I don't care if it was called the pink lollipop tour.  The fest became bigger than one act when you have over a dozen metal bands.  It doesnt' bother me that much either way because I go to so many other festival concerts in the summer, but it'd be cool if it continued though.  But it won't.  
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 02:51:50 pm by Jayman » Logged
da_wizard
spreading his magic
Community

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 10:14:40 pm »

DON'T GET ME WRONG....I'm not looking to send Ozzy packing.....I just was wonderin if it could happen without him. It would not be the same without him...not by any stretch of the imagination , but could it still happen in his name?....I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers , just looking for some opinions. Not only that ,but it seems that Ozzy's schedule this summer is not OZZFEST FRIENDLY if you know what I mean.....unless it is held in late summer early fall or is a one venue event this year.....[ da_wizard looks over his shoulder to make sure no one is ready to put a size 11 1/2 boot up his a$$)....FOF wouldn't you want OZZY'S namesake to continue after he calls it quits?.....I would like his work helping bands to get a start to continue.

alcohol is not a toy.......it's a tool....to be used by responsible drunks
Crozzy1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 11:13:26 pm »

NO, if Ozzy doesn't play, call it something else without Ozzy would be retarded
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: