HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I bought....  (Read 34351 times)
Tiger479
Stranger in an even stranger land
Community

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: March 12, 2011, 11:34:57 pm »

Ion record player. The LP's I got sound awesome. That original Paranoid album i found started to skip so I took a second look at it with a flash light in a dark room, and wow, it's in deathly need of a cleaning.

Anyone know of something good to clean it with? I'd hate to ruin it.   
kissfan77
All American American
Community

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 13, 2011, 12:51:45 am »

Just as with a VPI or Nitty Gritty record cleaning machine, the best way to clean records is by buying a commercially available record cleaning solution such as Last or Discwasher D4, which usually come with an applicator brush. The Last Company makes some good, although pricey, manual cleaners for records and your cartridge stylus and comes highly recommended. You could also use the same cleaners sold for use in machines, but you'll need to buy a good record cleaning brush to use them.

To begin, lay the record on a clean flat surface such as on a soft towel on a table or place the record on the turntable platter. If you decide to clean your records while they are on the turntable make sure to secure the tonearm so it doesn't accidentally swing across the record as you are cleaning it and do not apply too much pressure on the platter as you can damage the bearings. Also pay attention not to get any record cleaning fluid on the platter or turntable finish.

Follow the directions on the bottle, but generally one applies the liquid to the applicator brush and not on the record itself. Take the brush and place it on top of the record and turn the platter counter-clockwise a few times to work the dirt loose. Look at the brush, you should see some dirt or lint on it so carefully remove it and go another round cleaning the record till no more dirt or crud appears on the brush. Since alcohol is the primary ingredient of most record cleaning solutions the record should dry fairly quickly, but do let it air dry before flipping it over to clean the other side or place it back in its sleeve. Before you flip the record over though make sure the surface or platter is clean as the dirty uncleaned side was just there!

Once records are clean it is easy to do small touch up cleanings before playing by using a small brush like the Audioquest Record Brush.

Tiger479
Stranger in an even stranger land
Community

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 13, 2011, 03:58:22 pm »

Cool, Thanks for the info man. I'll probably go the manual route to make sure it's completely clean. I'll have to get the necessary supplies this weekend and try it out. 
AlpineValleyGirl
I Get Things Done!
Community

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 14, 2011, 03:10:51 am »

record cleaning machines are a waste of money unless you have a lot of old records you need to clean, ones you don't necessarily care about.  sometimes the brushes get out of line or wear down and cause more damage than you started with.  hand cleaning is best, especially with thinner vinyls.

Helping My Boss Find His Own Ass with Both Hands since 1986!
DONUT_N_CABOOSE_TUCKER
DOC_CABOOSE IZ ALWAYZ LURKIN' IN TEH FORUMS!!
Community

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 26, 2011, 05:18:43 pm »

Ultimate (Chris Reeve) Superman Collection for $30 @Ross, worth $50. (it was there cause 2-discs out of 15 discs were sadly defective.) contains: Superman 1978 film (no dolby 2.0) Superman-2 disc extended ed, Superman 2, Superman 2- R.Donner cut 2-disc, Superman 3 (plain), Superman 4: Quest 4 Peace (crappy film), Superman Returns (2-disc edition), All 16 fleisher toons from the 40's, 2-eps of George Reeves Superman, 2-reprinted DC comics & a metal tin keepsake box.

MIDDLE_FINGER

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 12, 2011, 10:57:20 pm »

Ultimate (Chris Reeve) Superman Collection for $30 @Ross, worth $50. (it was there cause 2-discs out of 15 discs were sadly defective.) contains: Superman 1978 film (no dolby 2.0) Superman-2 disc extended ed, Superman 2, Superman 2- R.Donner cut 2-disc, Superman 3 (plain), Superman 4: Quest 4 Peace (crappy film), Superman Returns (2-disc edition), All 16 fleisher toons from the 40's, 2-eps of George Reeves Superman, 2-reprinted DC comics & a metal tin keepsake box.

Fucking shit sucks ass.

Grow up and................ Get Some!

DONUT_N_CABOOSE_TUCKER
DOC_CABOOSE IZ ALWAYZ LURKIN' IN TEH FORUMS!!
Community

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 13, 2011, 01:08:36 am »

Actually son, if you think Christopher Reeve was crap then you're the kid. You see this collection featured converted Superman reels from 1930's up to the 80's & then they threw in that crappy returns film for good measure so that you little Spongebob watching brats have something to relate to.

MIDDLE_FINGER

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 14, 2011, 12:08:07 am »

Actually son, if you think Christopher Reeve was crap then you're the kid. You see this collection featured converted Superman reels from 1930's up to the 80's & then they threw in that crappy returns film for good measure so that you little Spongebob watching brats have something to relate to.

Fuck Reeve in his grave kid.

Get Some!

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: