HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Sabbath to play Lollapalooza  (Read 10081 times)
Gnomez
Village Idiot... and Lover of Sheep...
Community

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2012, 02:40:12 pm »

Review of Birmingham show
From local newspaper

IT was hotter than hell, and loud enough to wake the dead.
Black Sabbath were back in Birmingham, rolling back the years for 2,000 ecstatic fans, and leaving ears ringing.
Just like they used to.

Tony Iommi, Ozzy Osbourne and Geezer Butler took the sweaty 02 Academy by storm, crunching through their back catalogue.

Sure, drummer Bill Ward was missing after bitter contractual wrangling, but Ozzy’s sideman Tommy Clufetos was up to the challenge.
And, apart from a few early heckles of “Where’s your drummer?” he won over the homecoming crowd.
This was the Sabbath gig that so nearly didn’t happen after guitarist Iommi was diagnosed with lymphona.
But the man who invented heavy metal is made of stern stuff, the Iron Man of rock.
Last night he looked good, and played better. It was hard to believe this was a 64-year-old battling serious illness.
Watched from the sidelines by Sharon Osbourne, the band took to the stage to rapturous applause.
“By God, Tony looks in great shape!” said Sabbath fan Tony Green, 38, who’d come all the way from Scotland.
Then it was down to business. “Come on, you f***ers!” yelled Ozzy, and the band kicked off with Into The Void from their 1971 album Master Of Reality.
Under The Sun and Snowblind followed before telltale sirens ushered in War Pigs, the gig’s first big moment.
Next up was Wheels Of Confusion, which Ozzy ripped apart with his trademark vocal.
Electric Funeral and Black Sabbath both sounded heavier than ever, with Iommi’s guitar to the fore.
Wailing harmonica opened The Wizard, followed by a sprint to NIB and Fairies Wear Boots.
“Ozzy’s in blinding form,” said Louise Mantell, 24, from Great Barr. “He sounds better than he has done in years.
“He looks like he’s been waterboarded, he’s so drenched in sweat.”
Sweet Leaf, an instrumental Symptom Of The Universe and a Clufetos drum solo showed the Sabs are more than Stonehenge-sized rock and roll riffs.
“This is so totally incredible,” said Charley Johns, who’d managed to get almost to the front. “I can’t believe I’m seeing Black Sabbath this good in a venue this small!”
Iron Man, a revisit of fan favourite Dirty Women – rarely played since the Technical Ecstasy album – and Children Of The Grave brought the house down.
“Everybody go f***ing crazy,” exhorted Ozzy, and Sabbath smashed into the intro from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath before unleashing Paranoid.
As the fans left, sweat-sodden and sated, Jessy Sims, 22, from Birmingham, summed it up.
“They deafened my ears and blew my mind!”

THE SETLIST:

INTO THE VOID
UNDER THE SUN
SNOWBLIND
WAR PIGS
WHEELS OF CONFUSION
ELECTRIC FUNERAL
BLACK SABBATH
THE WIZARD
BEHIND THE WALL OF
SLEEP
NIB
FAIRIES WEAR BOOTS
LORD OF THIS WORLD
TOMORROW’S DREAM
SWEET LEAF
SYMPTOM OF THE
UNIVERSE
IRON MAN
DIRTY WOMEN
CHILDREN OF THE
GRAVE
SABBATH BLOODY
SABBATH
PARANOID

MattSabbath13
Metalhead til Dead
Community

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 10:17:07 pm »

Wow a lot of Volume 4!  I love it.  Under the Sun is one of the heaviest songs they've ever written.  That and Supernaut are my two favs from that album.  This set looks awesome.  Would love a full US tour with these songs.  Wheels of Confusion better have The Straightner instumental with it.  Love that song too!  If I get a chance to see this set I'll be a happy boy.

See you in the darkness wanker! ::finger
Gnomez
Community

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 03:05:03 pm »

And the Donnington show is coming up next weekend!!!
AlpineValleyGirl
I Get Things Done!
Community

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 07:32:58 pm »

tickets for Friday's show are officially sold out

(gets on the phone with her chiropractor)
Dude!  lets go out on your sailboat August 3rd!  we can hear the concert from the lake!

dude sez he's tried that and the sound from the fest out on the lake sounds garbled.  I wonder where their stage is going to be?  if it's at the south end, it'll be easier to sneak in, er . .  I mean hear it from outside the fence   Roll Eyes

Helping My Boss Find His Own Ass with Both Hands since 1986!
Gnomez
Community

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2012, 11:58:28 pm »

You gotta go AVG you just gotta!!!
Anyone else planning on going?
(by legal means or not)  Grin
AlpineValleyGirl
I Get Things Done!
Community

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2012, 09:23:24 pm »

I don't know . . . this looks like a lot more fun . . . being held at Wilmot Mountain Ski Resort, August 4th
and there's other upcoming dates listed on their website.  who the bands are is still a mystery for some dates.

http://www.ruggedmaniac.com/

Rugged Maniac is a 5K (3.2 mile) obstacle course race that combines the most rugged terrain and burly obstacles to allow those with a sense of adventure to define themselves, then bask in glory at a rocking after party with great bands, good food and plenty of beer!

Each Rugged Maniac features at least twenty obstacles constructed by an experienced crew of licensed contractors. These aren’t the pop-up kiddie obstacles you’ll see at other races. You’ll climb over walls up to 12’ high, crawl through mud under barbed wire, slide down a 50’ water slide, jump over fire and face many other challenges all while running through a combination of forests, fields, motocross tracks and ski slopes!

stevenstrong
bcuz im evil.
Community

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2012, 02:55:03 pm »

...he said "wrangling". (in my beavis voice)

Gnomez
Community

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2012, 04:22:15 pm »

Download Festival on this weekend in the UK!!!
Gnomez
Community

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2012, 04:25:40 pm »

2013 world tour?

http://www.411mania.com/music/news/241566/Ozzy-Osbourne-Says-Black-Sabbath%5C%5Cs-Download-Festival-Set-Will-Be-Great.htm
minime

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2012, 05:02:25 pm »

yepper......... Grin

MattSabbath13
Metalhead til Dead
Community

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2012, 07:21:32 pm »

Well now that they said 2013 tour I can go to other shows and save for Sabbath next year  Grin  I'm thinking about hitting Alice Cooper.  Haven't seen him yet.  Might even see Rush too while I'm at it.

Wizard_of_Ozz
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 02:35:26 pm »

Who is going to Lollapalooza to see Sabbath this summer?
minime

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2012, 08:55:37 am »

cant make it .....travel cost is too much

MattSabbath13
Metalhead til Dead
Community

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2012, 10:00:36 am »

Who is going to Lollapalooza to see Sabbath this summer?

If it were the original four I would be going but I'll wait until they have a full tour next year with or without Bill.

AlpineValleyGirl
I Get Things Done!
Community

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 08:41:46 pm »

* looks up at the sky - doesn't see any tickets falling from the clouds *

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: