HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone help me out with my Death to All concert dilemma?  (Read 1791 times)
slayeraddict666

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2012, 11:23:07 pm »

Alright, so I'm going to the Death to All tour this summer, to the NYC date, which is a 2 hour drive from where I live. The show starts at 7pm. I'm not old enough yet to drive by myself, so my friend who is, is going to to drive. He has a summer job though and doesn't get out of work till 5pm. Additionally, he's never driven in a big city before, so he's just gonna drive to the NYC outskirts and we're going to ride the subway into the venue. I figure that'll take like 45 minutes. So the 2 hour drive plus 45 minute subway ride to Manhattan wouldn't get us there until 7:45pm, 45 minutes after the show starts. My friend isn't willing to lie to get out of work early. He works as a lifeguard at a pool in the same town that him and I live in. He's the only friend who likes this type of music and is old enough to drive me? How can we get to the show by 7pm without him having to lie to his boss? By the way, I live in Connecticut.
Crazy_eyes
I'm the king of Ozzfest
Community

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 04:36:22 pm »

By telling him to stop being a pussy.

Jayman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:13:15 pm »

Alright, so I'm going to the Death to All tour this summer, to the NYC date, which is a 2 hour drive from where I live. The show starts at 7pm. I'm not old enough yet to drive by myself, so my friend who is, is going to to drive. He has a summer job though and doesn't get out of work till 5pm. Additionally, he's never driven in a big city before, so he's just gonna drive to the NYC outskirts and we're going to ride the subway into the venue. I figure that'll take like 45 minutes. So the 2 hour drive plus 45 minute subway ride to Manhattan wouldn't get us there until 7:45pm, 45 minutes after the show starts. My friend isn't willing to lie to get out of work early. He works as a lifeguard at a pool in the same town that him and I live in. He's the only friend who likes this type of music and is old enough to drive me? How can we get to the show by 7pm without him having to lie to his boss? By the way, I live in Connecticut.

This is quite a dilemma.  Exactly where in CT are you?  That would give me a better idea of what you're dealing with.  Are you saying it's a 2 hour drive without traffic?  This show is on a week night.  If you're talking about just leaving at 5pm, that's rush hour.   You could be dealing with some heavy heavy duty traffic.   I"m not sure where you intend to park in NY, but that may take a lot of time too.  It's very hard to predict how the drive will go, but I think you're being very unrealistic if you think you're gonna get into the place by 7:45.  Unless you figured in the traffic when you said it was 2 hours away.    I'm assuming you've thought about metro north and taking the train in?   I don't know where the closet station is to you or how long the train ride is. I've lived in NY my whole life, and I always drive to CT, NJ, PA and all the surrounding states for concerts, but I"ve never driven into NYC and never will.  Luckily I have the long island railroad so I don't have to.  Sorry but it's sounding like the dude needs to get off work before 3pm for this to work out.  Unless metro north can be an option.  But again, it'd help if I knew what town you're in in CT. 
AlpineValleyGirl
I Get Things Done!
Community

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 10:19:45 am »

has your friend even tried to get the day off?  this far into the future, it's easier to get coverage but do it early.  his boss can't be such a douche to not let him go and I'm sure there's someone else on the schedule to cover one shift.  everyone likes extra hours in the summer if they can get it.  $$$$

and that's how bosses turn into douches.  by assuming they won't help you out with this sort of dilemma
they get pissed at you for treating them like a douche in the first place.  but if that doesn't work, you're screwed

do not cut your travel time short.  give yourself at least an hour lead time to get lost/pulled over/tailgate

Helping My Boss Find His Own Ass with Both Hands since 1986!
Jayman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 12:29:31 pm »

I'm still thinking about going to that show.  My friends are going to that one. 
slayeraddict666

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 08:00:11 pm »

This is quite a dilemma.  Exactly where in CT are you?  That would give me a better idea of what you're dealing with.  Are you saying it's a 2 hour drive without traffic?  This show is on a week night.  If you're talking about just leaving at 5pm, that's rush hour.   You could be dealing with some heavy heavy duty traffic.   I"m not sure where you intend to park in NY, but that may take a lot of time too.  It's very hard to predict how the drive will go, but I think you're being very unrealistic if you think you're gonna get into the place by 7:45.  Unless you figured in the traffic when you said it was 2 hours away.    I'm assuming you've thought about metro north and taking the train in?   I don't know where the closet station is to you or how long the train ride is. I've lived in NY my whole life, and I always drive to CT, NJ, PA and all the surrounding states for concerts, but I"ve never driven into NYC and never will.  Luckily I have the long island railroad so I don't have to.  Sorry but it's sounding like the dude needs to get off work before 3pm for this to work out.  Unless metro north can be an option.  But again, it'd help if I knew what town you're in in CT. 

Yeah, I checked out Metro North and unless I'm mistaken I don't think there are any stations near me. I also asked my friend to ask his boss to let him out like an hour early for that day and he said he would but that he wasn't sure if it would happen since his job wants "committed employees" or whatever. Anyways we were planning on going north of the city and parking just north of the Bronx, right by the northern end of the subway systems so he wouldn't have to drive into the big city. If you know any other ways to get closer to the venue (The Fillmore) though without having to go through any downtown areas, that'd be awesome too. Thanks for all the help by the way guys!
Jayman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 08:23:16 pm »

I know they got the new haven station, danbury, waterbury, and new canaan.  I guess none of those will work for you.   I wish I could help you with the parking.  I never drive around those parts of new york.  I hope it works out for you.  That's gonna be a good show that night.  I"m still thinking about going to that one. 
AlpineValleyGirl
I Get Things Done!
Community

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 10:53:31 am »

I've always wanted to take the amtrak into Grand Central Station and run around NYC for a couple of days with no plans or hotel room or knowing anybody, jacking up my credit card at all the touristy hot-spots.  I'd probably be found lying under a bush in Central Park a week later.

Helping My Boss Find His Own Ass with Both Hands since 1986!
Crazy_eyes
I'm the king of Ozzfest
Community

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 09:08:58 am »

I also asked my friend to ask his boss to let him out like an hour early for that day and he said he would but that he wasn't sure if it would happen since his job wants "committed employees" or whatever.
Tell him to ask if he can go in an hour EARLY and get off an hour EARLY.

Gnomez
Village Idiot... and Lover of Sheep...
Community

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 02:06:12 pm »

Exactly
Or if he can work thru his lunch break?
It's only an hour for fucks sake
Jayman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 12:13:55 pm »

That's a difficult trip even on the weekend, but this is a weekday.  An extra hour will help, but it's not nearly early enough in my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:16:38 pm by Jayman » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: