HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He walks around, trots around  (Read 12 times)
fangxu0220

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2014, 02:58:55 am »

Sang Hwa Lee skated a terrific pace in the final race of the womens 500m, setting a new Olympic record of 37.28 for a combined time of 1:14.70, also an Olympic record. Lee won the gold medal, defending her title from the Vancouver Games. Russians have a new medallist to cheer. Olga Fatkulina won the silver medal in front of the home crowd. Fatkulina finished with a combined time of 1:15.06. Margot Boer became the first speed skater from the Netherlands to win a medal in the womens 500m, taking the bronze medal with a total time of 1:15.48. Nesbitt was the fastest Canadian, finishing with a combined time of 1:17.15, finished 12th. She was assigned a false start in the second race but avoided a penalty with a clean start on the second attempt. "I was better in my first race than in my second, which is very frustrating," Nesbitt said after the race. "I false-started in my second race, which took me off my guard." Joining Nesbitt in todays races were Calgarys Anastasia Bucsis, Marsha Hudey of White City, Sask., and Danielle Wotherspoon-Gregg, from Red Deer, Alta. Hudey and Wotherspoon-Gregg are making their Olympic debut. Hudey was the first Canadian to race in the second race, finishing with a combined score of 1:19.22. Wotherspoon-Gregg finished with a combined time of 1:19.32. Anastasia Bucsis finished with a combined time of 1:18.52. Nesbitts priority is to use the 500m as a tune up ahead of the 1000m on Thursday; she is the defending Olympic champion. "Its going to be tough on Thursday," she said. "The girls have stepped it up in the last four years and this season. Ive got work to do, but thats why Im here, to compete." Adam Vinatieri Jersey . First came the inspiration from Tiger Woods incomparable 2000 season, when he won three straight majors among his 10 titles around the world. Erik Walden Womens Jersey . -- Kevin Harvick has a second straight shot at winning from the pole at Kansas Speedway. http://www.authenticcoltsshop.com/Ahmad-Bradshaw-Colts-Jersey . After a month of playoff pressure and incredible off-court drama, a 104-98 loss to Oklahoma City on Thursday night ended the Clippers best season in franchise history. Their summer could match the tumult of the last few weeks, given Sterlings apparent determination to fight his lifetime NBA ban for racist remarks. Hakeem Nicks Youth Jersey . Eintracht Frankfurt, Fiorentina, Salzburg and Ludogorets Razgrad also made it three wins out of three, while Swansea, Sevilla, Rubin Kazan and Genk dropped their first points as they were all held to 1-1 draws. LaRon Landry Youth Jersey . General manager Ken Holland told Ansar Khan of MLive.com that DeKeyser has a broken right thumb. Head coach Mike Babcock said that he believes DeKeyser is done for the season.MONTREAL -- It was only a matter of time before Adonis Stevensons past as a member of a street gang became an issue in his boxing career. While building a 16-1 record as an undercard fighter, there was little mention of how, when he was in his late teens, the Haitian-born slugger from Montreal spent 18 months in a Bordeaux jail on charges of managing prostitutes, assault and making threats. Ex-jailbird boxers are hardly uncommon. But the past was brought up by Jesus Gonzales (27-1), who will face Stevenson at the Bell Centre on Saturday night with four minor belts and the No. 2 ranking in the International Boxing Federation on the line. Gonzales will wear a patch on his trucks for Natalies House, a womens shelter in Phoenix. Whether it is simply to put Stevenson off his game or not, the 27-year-old American is making it an issue. "It gets in his head," Gonzales said at a news conference Wednesday. "I know his past." Stevenson was clearly upset that events he hoped were long forgotten were brought up just before the biggest fight of his career. It will be Stevensons first bout with renowned trainer Emanuel Steward in his corner and is a must-win if he hopes to fulfil a dream to challenge fellow Montrealer Lucian Bute one day for the IBF title. To jump from 15th to second in IBF rankings would put him in range for a world title shot. "Im at another level now," the 34-year-old Stevenson said. "Now I want to be a champion, so I work hard with my promoter and trainer to be a champion." What Stevenson did or didnt do before he was arrested at 18 remains murky, but promoter Yvon Michel said that while he did time for prostitution and simple assault, he was never found guilty of rape, sexual assault or aggravated assault, as Gonzales has suggested. Stevenson only said he was jailed for "pimping." After he left prison, Stevenson took up boxing, won a silver medal for Canada at the 2004 Commonwealth Games, turned pro and has not been arrested again. He lives in suburban Longueuil, Que., with his girlfriend of four years and their two young daughters. "Its been 14 years," Stevenson said of his criminal past. "Thats a long time. "Thats the past. I learned a lot. You have the wrong people running (with) you. You have to look at which people are going to run with you. I was very young. Now Im older. I see the life. Im a fighter. I have two beautiful daughters. I work very hard for my family." Stevenson said jail was less a question of paying his debt to society as of regretting what he did and "trying to be bettter person.dddddddddddd" "We dont want to diminish the fact that he was beating girls," added Michel. "Thats very bad." Despite his record, he has a waiver that allows him to travel abroad. Two months ago, he visited Stewards famous Kronk Gym in Detroit. Steward, known as much these days as boxing analyst for the HBO specialty channel, took Thomas Hearns, Canadian Lennox Lewis and several other greats to world titles. After watching Stevenson spar and seeing his devastating left hand, Steward agreed to take him under his wing. It meant dumping his long-time Montreal trainer Howard Grant, who was not happy to see one of his top fighters leave without notice, but Stevenson said it was important to get regular sparring partners and to improve the obvious shortcomings in his game. While Stevenson can punch, he has little else in his repertoire. He said Steward has worked mainly on his balance and technique. Steward was in Austria this week helping heavyweight Wladimir Klitschko train for an upcoming title bout, but is due to arrive Friday and will be in Stevensons corner. Like Stevenson, Gonzales is a left-hander, but has only 14 knockouts in 28 career bouts. Stevenson has stopped 13 of 17 opponents before the limit, but the American is not impressed. "Hes like a big elephant," said Gonzales. "He walks around, trots around, doesnt know too much. He cant get no better." Gonzales said he has been a supporter of Natalies House for years but it will be the first time he wears its logo on his trunks. He said it is one of many charities or causes he has supported in Phoenix. "I dont get into the psychological (expletive)," he said. "I stick to the game plan. I know how to beat him and Ill beat him that way. "This all came up when we started talking about (fighting Stevenson). Thats his past, not mine. I dont care what hes done. I know Ive done a lot of good in my life." Trained by his father, Gonzales worked out for the bout at the National Sport Development gym in Calgary, because of the higher altitude and to get used to the cold. Also, his promoter Fanbase is partly based there. His main sparring partner was Calgary light middleweight Janks Trotter. Stevenson holds the NABA, NABO and IBF Intercontinental titles after his victory in December over Aaron Pryor Jr. Gonzales won the NABF belt from Francisco Sierra in his last bout in July. The co-feature has impressive light heavyweight prospect Eleider Alvarez (7-0) of Montreal defending his minor NABO title against American Otis Griffin (23-9-2). ' ' '
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: