HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the New York Red Bulls and  (Read 38 times)
fangxu0220

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:26:08 pm »

Paradise Island, Bahamas - Andrew Wiggins and the Kansas Jayhawks will try to salvage some success in the third place game of the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament. The second-ranked Jayhawks will play the Miners of Texas-El Paso at Imperial Arena in the Bahamas. The game can be seen live on TSN2 starting at 7pm et/4pm pt. Wiggins, the heralded freshman who is expected to be one-and-done at the college level, leads the team in scoring with 15.7 ppg and is also one of the better rebounders for the group with 5.3 per contest. The Jayhawks had defeated four straight opponents by double figures to open the 2013-14 campaign, but the team was brought back to reality when it landed on Paradise Island for a Thanksgiving meeting with Wake Forest. Granted, Kansas was still able to come away with the victory, but the scoring margin shrank to only nine points (87-78). On Friday, the Jayhawks were held below 80 points for the first time, bowing to an upstart Villanova program by a final of 63-59. Kansas led by as many as nine points in the first half against Villanova last night, but the Jayhawks ended up shooting only 6-of-25 from the floor, including 1-of-6 beyond the arc in the period, en route to a 29-22 deficit at the break and an eventual four-point setback. Overall, Kansas knocked down only 38.9 percent from the field and 2-of-11 out on the perimeter, not to mention 15-of-25 at the free-throw line. Frank Mason led the scoring with 12 points off the bench, followed by Perry Ellis with 11 and both Wiggins and Joel Embiid with 10 points as the team suffered 16 turnovers, which the Wildcats exchanged for 22 points. Ellis checks in with 14.5 ppg as he shoots close to 60 percent from the field for a group that is hitting on an impressive 52.0 percent overall, compared to just 41.9 percent for the competition. However, for a program that is producing 82.3 ppg, making less than five triples per game is rather surprising. As for the Miners, they were just 3-2 upon their arrival in the Bahamas so they werent expected to do very much against some superior competition. However, UTEP pulled off a 78-70 win versus Tennessee on Thursday, before taking an 89-53 fall against 23rd-ranked Iowa Yesterday. Believe it or not, the Miners lead the all-time series with Kansas by a count of 3-0, with one of those victories taking place in the 1966 NCAA Midwest Region Finals in Lubbock, Texas. Most recently, UTEP posted a 66-60 victory in the 1992 NCAA Midwest Sub-Regional in Dayton, Ohio. UTEP fell behind almost immediately against the Hawkeyes, trailing by as many as 38 points in the second half as the Miners shot only 34.6 percent from the field and 5-of-22 behind the 3-point line. Julian Washburn was the lone double-digit scorer for the Miners with his 13 points, stemming from 4-of-14 shooting from the floor. The other four starters combined to hit on just 6- of-22 attempts for a collective 16 points. One of those starters to come up small was McKenzie Moore who, after seven games, of which he has appeared in six and started five, is the leading scorer with 13.3 ppg. A major contributor both on the glass (4.7 rpg) and in the passing department (16 assists), Moore is shooting 90.5 percent at the free- throw line for a unit that has knocked down only 67.7 percent at the charity stripe. Washburn (11.0 ppg) is getting his points based on only 39.5 percent accuracy from the floor. <a href="http://www.netherlandssoccerteamshop.com/Memphis-Depay-World-Cup-Jersey.html">memphis depay soccer jersey</a>. Islanders coach Jack Capuano was also fined $10,000 for his role in the incident. The National Hockey Leagues Department of Player Safety announced the penalties on Saturday. Hamonic was given a minor penalty for instigating, a major penalty for fighting and a game misconduct on the play, which occurred at the 15:23 mark of the third period. <a href="http://www.netherlandssoccerteamshop.com/Memphis-Depay-World-Cup-Jersey.html">memphis depay netherlands soccer jersey</a>. -- The Golden State Warriors have created space behind them in the crowded Western Conference standings and are showing no signs of slowing down their surge up the standings. <a href="http://www.netherlandssoccerteamshop.com/Arjen-Robben-World-Cup-Jersey.html">http://www.netherlandssoccerteamshop.com/Arjen-Robben-World-Cup-Jersey.html</a>. California Rep. Henry Waxman, the top Democrat on the committee, and two others made the request in a letter Tuesday to chairman Fred Upton, a Michigan Republican. The NFL and the players agreed to begin blood testing for HGH as part of their new collective bargaining agreement reached in late July -- but only if the union agreed to the methods. <a href="http://www.netherlandssoccerteamshop.com/2014-World-Cup-Memphis-Depay-Holland-Soccer-Jersey-Navy-Blue-Nike-Womens-Replica-21-Away-78.html">http://www.netherlandssoccerteamshop.com/2014-World-Cup-Memphis-Depay-Holland-Soccer-Jersey-Navy-Blue-Nike-Womens-Replica-21-Away-78.html</a>. With the transfer window open, hundreds of accounts rack up their followers alleging to know of an impending transfer. <a href="http://www.netherlandssoccerteamshop.com/Memphis-Depay-World-Cup-Jersey.html">memphis depay world cup jersey</a>. Evan Oberg opened the scoring for the Wolves (31-17-6) 9:27 into the first period and Ty Rattie added an insurance goal at 12:17 of the third while Abbotsfords Shane OBrien was serving a double minor for high sticking.VANCOUVER -- Peter Schmeichel left a mark on an entire generation of goalkeepers in Denmark. A larger-than-life personality known for his intimidating style in the 18-yard box, Schmeichels career spanned some 20 years -- including a memorable tenure at Manchester United. Vancouver Whitecaps goalkeeper David Ousted was one of the young Danes who took notice of the man who played a record 129 times for his country. "He was definitely a big influence because a couple years in a row there he was the best keeper in the world," Ousted said this week. "I was impressed with the saves he made, but also the presence he had when he was playing. "I think like every other Danish goalkeeper, you grew up watching him." But the 29-year-old Ousted is carving out his own story and style in Vancouver, far from where the fiery Schmeichel patrolled the pitches in Europe. "He doesnt play like (Schmeichel) and doesnt have his personality," Whitecaps goalkeeper coach Marius Rovde with a chuckle. "So he has nothing thats like him except for his (blonde) hair. "Maybe hes crazy in different ways." Ousted joined the Whitecaps in June 2013 on a free transfer from Denmarks Randers FC and hasnt looked back, shooting up the depth chart last season once he arrived to grab the starters role ahead of Brad Knighton and the aging Joe Cannon -- neither of whom are still with the club. He has helped Vancouver (1-0-2) to an undefeated start to the 2014 campaign, including his first clean sheet of the season last weekend in a 0-0 road draw against the New England Revolution. "David, since the time hes been here, has been very professional," said Whitecaps captain Jay DeMerit. "His drive and his comfort level has always been here and always been high, but I think hes just getting used to playing with his defenders, hes getting used to playing in this league and I think hes getting better and better. "You want him to keep us in it and make big saves when called upon. Hes definitely done that for us this season." It wasnt exactly a smooth transition early on, however. Ousted started his Major League Soccer career with 1-1 draw against the Portland Timbers last August before following that up a week later with a 2-0 victory over the San Jose Earthquakes. What followed was a couple of shaky outings that had some questioning if he was the right fit in Vancouver. Rovde pushed hard for the club to sign the six-foot-four 195-pound goalkeeper and wasnt put off by a 0-3-2 string that included eight goals against. "Youre coming to a new league and sometimes in this league, things happen that dont in other leagues -- defenders make mistakes or they dont pressure as hard," said Rovdee.dddddddddddd "You suddenly get free shots from 18, 20 yards that youre not used to. "If youre going to play well in this league, youre going to have to expect the unexpected as a goalkeeper." There was no doubt in Rovdes mind that Ousted was Vancouvers goalkeeper of the present and future. "I expected him to go straight in and be a starter because he has played bigger games than you can play in MLS," said Rovde. "He has played against FC Copenhagen, had clean sheets against them in front of 40,000 fans. He has played those big games. There wasnt any reason to wait." Ousted -- who now has five clean sheets in 16 career starts with Vancouver -- said it took some time to get adjusted not only to a new league, but a new continent. "I definitely feel more acclimatized. Im settled here now. I know the league a little bit better," said Ousted, who stayed behind in Vancouver for extra off-season work after the Whitecaps missed the playoffs in 2013. "Both the style of play and the players here are a little bit different. You have to get used to it, get used to the whole thing with the travel and the different venues. "Maybe it took a little while longer for me than I thought it would but I feel like Im getting used to it now and hopefully I can continue playing well." The Whitecaps have had no complaints about his play so far in 2014. Ousted made a big save early in the clubs season-opening 4-1 home win over the New York Red Bulls and was responsible for saving points the last two weekends on the road -- a 1-1 draw with Chivas USA and that scoreless final in New England. "Even last year when there was one or two little criticisms against him for goals going in, David has remained a top keeper," said rookie Whitecaps head coach Carl Robinson. "His work ethic is fantastic. Hes a great guy off the field. Yes he has saved us a point or two now in the last couple of games, but hes the same keeper as he was against New York and hes the same keeper today." Working with Ousted from the centre of defence, DeMerit has noticed more of a take-charge attitude so far in the young season, which continues Saturday at home against the Houston Dynamo (2-0-0). "I think hell continue to be a leader back there for us because he needs to be," said DeMerit. "Down the spine of our team, thats where the leadership needs to come from." Added Ousted: "Its a big part of my game and something that Im trying to develop even more -- being the guy they can rely on and the guy whos taking responsibility. "I was glad that the club put their confidence in me and I still am. Im still working hard to try and repay that confidence." ' ' '
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: