HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: do you like ozzy with sabbath better or ozzy solo?  (Read 4909 times)
lnghairedfreek

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 08:48:45 pm »

To those who say we still get sabbath tunes with Ozzy solo, well, what kind of Sabbath stuff do we REALLY get? Two songs? The truth is that I would much rather hear heavy Sabbath stuff like Into the Void, After Forever, Electric Funeral or Children of the Grave than the ballads Ozzy is playing now: Here for You, Road to Nowhere and Mama I'm Coming Home.

More like about half his set. Year after year it's the same whether it's with Sabbath or solo. War Pigs, Iron Man, Paranoid, Children of The Grave. He repeats more than he ever changes. I've seen both and just prefer solo more. Every once in a while he actually throws in a new song. With Sabbath there hasn't been anything new for what...30 years.
devilmusik

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 08:59:38 pm »

ozzy solo
Morningstar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 01:01:37 am »

Ozzy Solo because I really love him with Zakk

::finger::::surprise::animatedsmile
markyg1966

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 07:33:22 am »

lnghairedfreek said:
To those who say we still get sabbath tunes with Ozzy solo, well, what kind of Sabbath stuff do we REALLY get? Two songs? The truth is that I would much rather hear heavy Sabbath stuff like Into the Void, After Forever, Electric Funeral or Children of the Grave than the ballads Ozzy is playing now: Here for You, Road to Nowhere and Mama I'm Coming Home.
More like about half his set. Year after year it's the same whether it's with Sabbath or solo. War Pigs, Iron Man, Paranoid, Children of The Grave. He repeats more than he ever changes. I've seen both and just prefer solo more. Every once in a while he actually throws in a new song. With Sabbath there hasn't been anything new for what...30 years.

Half his set? Nope. Ozzy solo has not played any Sabbath other than Paranoid and War Pigs for the last two years. Yes, it's true, Ozzy's setlist includes two new songs from Black Rain this year. This is the first time Ozzy has given us something new in the set list since he first unveiled three Down to Earth tracks on the Merry Mayhem tour of fall 2001. Ozzy also surprised us with a live version of Diary of a Madman on some Ozzfest 2000 dates but, before that, you have to go back to 1995 for two new songs from Ozzmosis: Perry Mason and I Just Want You.

With Sabbath, there hasn't been anything new in 30 years? Nope. It was in 1997 that they performed Lord of This World for the first time. It was in 1998 that They performed Spiral Architect, a song they had not played since 1975. It was in 2001 that they performed their new, unreleased song Scary Dreams. It was in 2005 that Sabbath performed Sleeping Village, a song they had never performed live before.

I guess I'm trying to say that, as much as I love Ozzy, he seems to insist on predictable setlists for his own band as well as Sabbath.

Heaven and Hell (Dio Sabbath), on the other hand, has a setlist that is fresh, high quality and interesting. I'll be seeing them for the fourth time this September... but that's a discussion for another board.
lnghairedfreek

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 03:07:59 pm »

With Sabbath, there hasn't been anything new in 30 years? Nope. It was in 1997 that they performed Lord of This World for the first time. It was in 1998 that They performed Spiral Architect, a song they had not played since 1975. It was in 2001 that they performed their new, unreleased song Scary Dreams. It was in 2005 that Sabbath performed Sleeping Village, a song they had never performed live before.

To clarify, I meant new material, not 30 year old songs that they were just getting around to playing. I suppose when you get to be Ozzy's age and done the things to himself that he's done then you might need to stick to the same thing over and over.
markyg1966

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 04:43:04 pm »

lnghairedfreek said:
To clarify, I meant new material, not 30 year old songs that they were just getting around to playing. I suppose when you get to be Ozzy's age and done the things to himself that he's done then you might need to stick to the same thing over and over.

Ahhh, that's well put. I still thought we were talking about the songs included in the setlist... but we are now talking about new compositions.

Yes, it's true: Since Ozzy has re-joined Black Sabbath, they have given us a grand total of 3 new songs in the last ten years: Psycho Man, Selling my Soul, and Scary Dreams (unreleased). I blame this lack of production on Ozzy's management for focusing on promotion rather than the music. If I had to guess the list of priorities Ozzy's management had set for him, it might look something like this:

1- Promotions (TV shows, special appearances, etc.)
2- Ozzy Solo Concerts
3- Ozzy solo recording
4- Sabbath concerts
5- Everything else
6- Sabbath recording

Ozzy will do lenthy solo tours outside of Ozzfest - but he has done less than 20 Sabbath shows outside Ozzfest in the last 8 years. It seems Ozzy's people have zero interest in Black Sabbath unless they are using the band to sell Ozzfest.

Like I said, I blame Ozzy's management for the lack of new Sabbath material. Meanwhile, Geezer has been putting his witty lyrics into his solo albums and Iommi has been doing the same with his riffs & solos. Let's face it: Ozzy's lack of commitment to the band has once again caused him to be replaced by Ronnie James Dio. A huge anount of credibility and prestige comes with the position of vocalist in that band - no matter the name. Hopefully, the Heaven and Hell phenomenon will pressure Ozzy into reclaiming his throne and commiting to the band. A new album by the original Sabbath would be the biggest release in rock history - but there was never any interest from the Ozzy camp in making that happen. Then, when the Heaven and Hell announcement was made, within 24 hours Ozzy's people issued a press release saying Ozzy was going to make new new record with Sabbath. I found it sad that the biggest news of the rock world would come out as a cheap, retaliatory attempt to steal the glory from Heaven and Hell. Such an announcement should have been given the dignity, respect and huge publicity it deserved.

What about the sessions with Rick Rubin? They were abandoned. If Ozzy had died in that quad-bike accident, the news would have said: "Rock God spends last days scooping poop on MTV for the amusement of non-fans while new Sabbath album lies unfinished." I don't think I could have endured anything like that.

In the end, I will still do whatever I can to catch the Ozzy or Sabbath show. Last week was my 25th time seeing Ozzy live (19 solo, 6 Sabbath) and I am still grateful for every show - as well as all the fine solo albums by the Sabbath members over the past few years. I just did not expect that Ozzy re-joining Sabbath would mean the end of their recording career.
2kool4school

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 09:32:36 pm »

I prefer Donny Osmond in his solo career

Excelsior!!!
sassychick_19

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 01:26:28 am »

well all i have seen is ozzy with his solo band but to see him with black sabbith would also be good...so me i like both of them

::fingerbep bop::finger
Totengott

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 09:11:46 am »

Ozzy solo definately.

HEavier and better

ozzfestvet2000

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 02:03:05 pm »

I prefer Ozzy Solo. I love Zakk Wylde and the 2 of them together is just awesome.

sig compliments of whitewolf1989
outlawtorn_13

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 07:44:59 pm »

solo w/ ZAKK::laugh
LandOfTheDamned

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 10:30:10 am »

Ozzy has his own style, way better than Black Sabbath.
But you can't deny that old Black Sabbath stuff is wicked! ::smile
Jezz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 07:30:21 pm »

I like both, thouig I must say ozzy with the sab's was better.
first, they have the awesome rifts and lyrics.
Though when yuo compare it to ozzy solo, then ozzy shows his true colors.
Ozzy always said Sabbath held him back.
I love both.  ::finger
Jezz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 07:31:55 pm »

Dio should just go and fuck himself.
HE his the WORST fuckin' rocker ever seen

FUCK YOU ALL WHO LIKE DIO!!!::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger
The_Wicked_One

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2007, 02:39:35 pm »

Both are different.

Ozzy/Sabbath is great but altogether it is played slow. Sabbath pretty much founded Doom metal due to the song "Black Sabbath"
When I say slow i mean in relevence to say "Bark at the Moon" which is wicked fast.
Not to mention Randy, Jake and Zakk have left their own lasting impressions on the world.

If I ever had a choice in the matter for a concert it would be Ozzy/Sabbath plays first, then after a few bands Dio/Sabbath, then at the end Ozzy solo.

this way everyone gets what they want.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: