HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What makes Slipknot different from every other Nu-metal band?  (Read 1203 times)
« on: July 08, 2007, 05:42:25 am »

First before you metal elitist go off and start pissing all over my thread. Remember I already know you think they suck because your so "3L33T" in taste that your views will always be one-sided.

I am and always will be a Slipknot fan which I have no problem admitting tell the day i die. I am by no means or ever claimed to be "a maggot" and don't dress up in masks for their concerts like F.O.F. does for a star trek convention. Infact those kids who do wear those masks are just as worse as the fags in corpse paint.  So as a metal fan and once a huge Slipknot fan. I thought I would be the best to answer the question you've all been trying to ask which is...

Oh and to all you "maggots" please dont respond because you're the reason why Slipknot went away for awhile in hopes "the maggots" will grow up and stop being a burden for their music.

What is so good about them and makes Slipknot different from every other Nu-metal band?

They're good because they're all talented musicians who play perfectly in-tune with each other own holographic style yet are so on time. A nine-piece band who plays just death metal or anything like that would be foolish to say the least and make no sense. In Slipknots case it does! It's nine people blending different influence of metal genres that each member has added to tie a "slipknot" of one sound together, hence the name Slipknot. The only problem was identity at practise so they knew who was playing that instrument and the personality behind it, hence the "masks". Cory came later and only improved it. Slipknot had a hard time finding that perfect blend in the choas of 9 different musicians who shared common tastes but different backwards musicaly, while yet they did find that sound is wasn't perfected. Ross Robinson found their sound but held Slipknot back by limiting the showboating of each ones talent and kept the complixity to the song patters.  The s/t was born which metal underground accepted as Slipknot being a metal band but still hard to classify.

Well they are not nu-metal because unlike other nu-metal acts at the time they put heart and balls into that one album. Nu-metal bands usually have a vocalist who writes a pity party for cheesy lyrics,  the singing is well eh gay let's forget the "painful snarl", play a drop D chord in every song, over use of distortion peddles, don't have very well balanced percussion going into a bridge, and aren't unique in any way.  Slipknot doesn't have a genre they ultimatly fall under. The masks aren't just a gimic but they did work as one. Good marketing/promotion skills.

Iowa was Ross Robinson is total control and holding them back from progressing/maturing from the S/T. Yet i still enjoyed it knowing it could've been worse but there were a lot of songs i skipped.

Vol 3. Subliminal Versus

The album was poorly produced and was lackluster if anything. A perfect example of why Slipknot wasn't ready to be let go and do an album they wanted. It was too many band members throwing in all their shit together in one song in order for each one to say they had some say. The album was rushed and edited like shit. Subliminal Versus would have been a masterpiece if they took some time and Cory wasn't adding stone sour flavor in the vox. Rick Ruben was paid to just be the scapegoat in the trainwreck of that. There was no heart in this.

Watch out though Slipknot is coming back to do another album in November.
I have a feeling they have left the masks behind, got the passion back, had their space, and will show people what exactly Slipknot was trying to do the first time around but with more freedom as well patience.

That is all
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 05:43:23 am »

Sorry i got sick of the whole issue and this is what happens when i got an issue.
spock

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 06:05:40 am »

The fans ruin everything! ::finger::sinister::finger

Spock
TerracottaPie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 08:02:19 am »

A well thought out, intelligent post.   You win.

LoweDownDirty1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 08:05:57 am »

the difference is they have 5 extra assclowns that make shitty music

Fafoo13

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 08:49:13 am »

Clown. Banging. On. Trashcans.

That is all.

CFH4EVER

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 08:58:52 am »

I have seen a lot of Metal trends come and go. I have seen a lot of so called Metal bands come and go. Slipnot is original to the fact that they actually kept everyone from the begining and did not do what the record industry wanted them to do. Just because you don't like them dosen't mean you can hate them for their success. I don't see your band playing sold out shows and have a huge following like they do. So before you hate on Slipnot think about their lloyality to each other and their fans.
teh_d00d

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 10:50:48 am »

I don't hate them for their success.  If they can eat by playing the crap they do, then great.  I hate them because they (and more especially, their fans) claim they have some sort of right to the crown called "metal" when they, in fact, need 9 members to make a sound less than half as heavy as your average 4 or 5 member outfit in actual metal.  They (fans mostly here) also do some of the stupidest shit I've ever seen, and all in all give fans of ACTUAL metal a bad name.  It has nothing to do with that I dislike the band honestly... it's that they claim to be what they are not, and make people like me look bad in the eyes of anyone who might potentially be a fan of metal.  Slipknot is, simply put, an embarrassment.  It's like if some crazy dude kills a baby, then claims "Satan made me do it..."  then in the eyes of the public, all Satanists are baby killers, when that is actually very very far from the truth.

Your problems are utterly alien to me.  It's like a bear complaining to a shark that its knees hurt.
unknownsilence666

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 11:11:13 am »

I am a Slipknot and a Stone Sour fan a very big one indeed and I cannot wait for Slipknots new album but Ill tell you people that dont like Slipknot. Well like teh dood said metal gets blamed for murders, suicides and many other things that has happened to Judas Priest before. And as a fan of Slipknot I dont see they deserve the crown of metal or whatever your talking about but yea they did some crazy ass touring and some crazy shit but I can respect that people dont like Slipknot and thats fine. Ok well im done and stay (sic)
hansard1985

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 11:20:38 am »

Well you had me at "I am by no means or ever claimed to be "a maggot" and don't dress up in masks for their concerts like F.O.F. does for a star trek convention." and then you lost me at "In Slipknots case it does! It's nine people blending different influence of metal genres that each member has added to tie a "slipknot" of one sound together, hence the name Slipknot."

fuckyourlife

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 11:22:23 am »

Who cares how different they are? They still fucking suck.
dethklok66623

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 11:26:48 am »

xJisatsuxIkkoux said: Who cares how different they are? They still fucking suck.
::animatedlaugh

sabbath719

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 11:28:21 am »

i like 'em, stone sour is in charlotte, 1 fucking day b4 my ozzfest!::animatedsmile

joker.jpg
dethklok66623

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 11:36:16 am »

ive been waiting to long for the new cd. And as i said in other threads i grew out of slipknot and found much better bands Amon amarth,Arch enemy, Behemoth, NIle,Wintersun,Hatebreed,Cannibal corpse you get the picture but im just trying to say that i wouldnt be suprised if they NEVER release a new cd because it was suppose to come out a LONG time ago. Corey and that monster of a dude jim root are happy in stone sour. Stone sour is very fucking succesful. I really wouldnt be suprised if slipknot broke up because having 9 members is too much and the "ASS CLOWNS" that play garbage cans or tom toms are really NOT needed in the least fucking bit. Bands break up when there is only 5 or 4 members so 9? im suprised they made it this far.

the_Thunder_God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 03:24:41 pm »

they really aren't that talented musicians. aside from joey jordison, who is a decent drummer to say the least. and i have looked up their songs so i could learn them back when i was into them, they play a few repeated chords in a dropped tuning. half of the members you can barely even hear playing during a large  number of their songs.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: