HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winged Octopus' review of the 8/8 Ozzfest 2007 concert in Columbus  (Read 2146 times)
WingedOctopus
Community

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2007, 01:32:56 pm »

Before reading this, I would like to bring something to your attention.  Due to a grueling 3-Hour Water Polo practice as well as traffic conditions, my father and I did not get to see 3 Inches of Blood, Egypt Central, and most of Nile?HuhHuh?s set (We did get to hear Black Seeds of Vengeance, which was an awesome song).  The Showdown also failed to show up.  Therefore, you will not find reviews for them.  If you wish, feel free to post your review of them in this topic.

So the day began, as I already said, with Water Polo practice from 8-11.  Due to this, my father and I got on the road a bit late.  After stopping for lunch, we arrived at Germain Amphitheater, only to discover that we had missed 3 Inches of Blood.  We maintained high spirits though, as the rest of the Second Stage would prove to be killer.

Nile (Partial review):  My dad and I arrived at the Second Stage just as Nile was wrapping up their set.  I looked around and though HuhHuh?Where the hell is everyone?HuhHuh?  Though there didn?HuhHuh?t seem to be a lot of people there, those who were seemed to be having a hell of a time.  Nile finished with Black Seeds of Vengeance, which was an incredible song.  

Nile?HuhHuh?s score: 9/10 (Based on one song)

Ankla:  I didn?HuhHuh?t expect much from Ankla, and it seems the rest of the crowd had the same attitude about them.  However, they proved their mettle quickly.  I?HuhHuh?d never heard any of Ankla?HuhHuh?s music before, but by the end everyone was head banging and throwing devil horns.  Their guitarist was also very skilled.

Ankla?HuhHuh?s score: 8/10

Chthonic:  I was psyched to see these guys, and they sure didn?HuhHuh?t fail to disappoint me.  The songs I recognized that they played were Quasi Putrefaction and Unlimited Taiwan.  The also raved about how Taiwan was the greatest and the U.N. was planning on destroying Taiwan before they became too powerful ::animatedlaugh  The crowd wasn?HuhHuh?t to into them though.

Chthonic?HuhHuh?s score: 8/10

In This Moment:  In This Moment, like Ankla, also out-did my expectations.  They played Daddy?HuhHuh?s Falling Angel, Prayers, Beautiful Tragedy, and one other song.  The crowd loved HuhHuh?em, even if it was likely only for Maria Brink ::animatedlaugh  They put on a good live show.  The band seemed happy to be there.    

In This Moment?HuhHuh?s score: 8/10

::animatedlaugh Burger King Diamond
WingedOctopus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 01:33:19 pm »

Daath:  Daath dominated the second stage.  There music is even greater live than in the studio, which is saying a lot.  The crowd was ballistic by the end.  As many as five people were crowd surfing at a time.  The singer crowd surfed while singing, which was pretty neat.  They also got the day?HuhHuh?s first pits going.  My father said it was the best performance of the day, and I must say, I agree.

Daath?HuhHuh?s score: 10/10

DevilDriver:  I missed the first song, because I was talking with my concerned mother on the phone.  Still, the rest of their show was powerful.  The Second Stage area was filled to the brim for it.  The singer asked HuhHuh?Does everyone know who fucking DevilDriver is?HuhHuh?  Though everyone cheered, I said HuhHuh?Not really?HuhHuh, and all of the people around me laughed.  They put on a hell of a show, got a huge circle pit going, and at the end a forest of devil horns arose from the crowd

DevilDriver?HuhHuh?s score: 9/10

Behemoth:  Some guy near us said, HuhHuh?I?HuhHuh?m leaving HuhHuh?til Hatebreed comes on?HuhHuh.  To this I said, HuhHuh?Your gonna miss Behemoth though!?HuhHuh  He gave me a funny look as though he had no idea who Behemoth was, and simply left.  The crowd wasn?HuhHuh?t as big for Behemoth as it was for DevilDriver.  There music was better live, and they did spit fake blood out of their mouth, but I expected fanatical fans, which I didn?HuhHuh?t see enough of.  

Behemoth?HuhHuh?s score: 8/10

Hatebreed:  Though there music may be a little repetitive, these guys put on a hell of a show.  Whatever they asked of the crowd happened.  Moshing, jumping, head banging, it was nuts.  The singer said, HuhHuh?Anyone not moving is a Michigan fan!?HuhHuh which I and the rest of the crowd found humorous.  Their music got repetitive after a while though.

Hatebreed?HuhHuh?s score: 8/10

Intermission:  Before the Main Stage, my dad and I went to our car to get our beef jerky.  I picked up a Lordi T-shirt and a couple of sodas and we headed to our seats

WingedOctopus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 01:33:36 pm »

Lordi:  I was psyched when I heard Lordi would be playing Ozzfest 2007, though not many other people in the U.S. had heard of them until Ozzfest.  They had incredible stage show with fun, old-fashioned rock music to go along with it.  Rocket launchers, chainsaws, pyrotechnics, it was a blast.  The only thing was that the crowd wasn?HuhHuh?t into them.  The keyboardist even refused to play the intro to Hard Rock Hallelujah until the crowd got more psyched, which eventually did happen.

Lordi?HuhHuh?s score: 9/10

Static-X:  The crowd was more into these guys.  They have a unique style, which is uncommon in the Nu-Metal world.  It was a fun time, and the band was glad to be there on stage, but I didn?HuhHuh?t care for them as much as a number of other acts we saw that day.  Maybe it was because their bass was so loud, I had a splitting headache before the end of there set.  My father, however, thought it was the best Main Stage performance.  I would have liked them more if they were just by themselves.  Wayne Static has cool hair though

Static-X?HuhHuh?s score: 7/10

Lamb of God:  The moment many were waiting for.  Lamb of God got the crowd going like no other.  They even incited a huge storm of bottles, shoes, even dirt clods as well as an enormous circle pit.  They played well live, but their set seemed to drag a bit.  It was a blast at the beginning, but their songs get repetitive after 70 minutes.

Lamb of God?HuhHuh?s score:  8/10

Ozzy:  The Prince of Darkness fails to disappoint.  He sounded a little off at the beginning, but he and his fellow band members seemed to improve as the show went on.  Zakk played a guitar solo with his teeth, and then proceeded to play the national anthem, probably an allusion to the great Jimi Hendrix.  The set list was as follows:

Bark at the Moon
Mr. Crowley
War Pigs
Road to Nowhere
Not Going Away
Suicide Solution
Mama, I?HuhHuh?m Coming Home
Here for You
Crazy Train
Paranoid

Ozzy Osbourne?HuhHuh?s score: 10/10

Ozzfest 2007 overall review: 9.5/10

The heat killed, but I couldn?HuhHuh?t have asked for a much better show.  Feel free, but not obligated, to post any comments.

metalfuckinhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 01:29:09 pm »

great review...thanx for posting it, guy ::finger

MetalFUCKINHead
WingedOctopus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 01:39:35 pm »

metalfuckinhead said: great review...thanx for posting it, guy ::finger

Thanks for your courteous feedback

psycho_bitch

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 01:38:24 pm »

good review. 20 more days til wpb! pics?

Meshuggahailmeshuggah1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 01:48:40 pm »

it was a great day man. i was there as well.

SEE YOU IN TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::animatedlaugh
WingedOctopus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 01:51:45 pm »

psycho_bitch said: good review. 20 more days til wpb! pics?

I have pics.  I'll get 'em up eventually.

WingedOctopus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 01:52:13 pm »

McLovin said: it was a great day man. i was there as well.

Did you catch 3 Inches of Blood?

EvilHippieDriftwood

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 02:01:26 pm »

IF I sit through Hatebreed and Jasta says something about people not moving, I'm going to yell "BRING BACK BEHEMOTH! THEY'RE BETTER THAN YOU!!!!".

October 24: Opeth (fuck openers)
WingedOctopus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 02:01:01 pm »

Driftwood said: IF I sit through Hatebreed and Jasta says something about people not moving, I'm going to yell "BRING BACK BEHEMOTH! THEY'RE BETTER THAN YOU!!!!".

::animatedlaugh

WingedOctopus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 06:22:49 pm »

McLovin said: it was a great day man. i was there as well.

Amen to that

Coulrophile

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 09:35:16 pm »

Lucky, you got to miss The Showdown and Circus Diablo, but it is too bad you only got to see one Nile song.

Good review.

irrigator58

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 09:42:48 pm »

nice review ::smile

Amon Amarth - November 28
metalfuckinhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 11:08:42 pm »

Driftwood said: IF I sit through Hatebreed and Jasta says something about people not moving, I'm going to yell "BRING BACK BEHEMOTH! THEY'RE BETTER THAN YOU!!!!".
::finger::animatedlaugh

MetalFUCKINHead
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: