HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Ozzfest Weekend (Chicago & Alpine Valley)  (Read 2695 times)
KevinDeets

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2007, 08:22:55 pm »

I went to Ozzfest on Fri. in Chicago & Sun. @ Alpine Valley.  Can't beat the price (FREE).  Here's my quick review

Daath:  Nothing special at all.  Not bad, but not my cup of tea.

3 Inches of Blood.  Best band on the 2nd stage, period.  They rule!  Rumored Fall tour w/ Static-X and Shadows Fall.

Chthonic:  These guys were absolutely awful.  I think I watched a total of 3 min of them in 2 days.  So far 2 crappy bands have left the tour (Circus Diablo & Mondo Generator).  These guys should definitely be the next to go.

Ankla:  Good music and tons of energy, but their singer probably asked for a circle pit 8x in a 20 min set.  no joke.  They need to cut back on the concert cliches.  I really liked 'em, though.  They reminded me a lot of Ill Nino.  Fall tour w/ Nonpoint, Skindred, and Will Haven.

Nile:  One of the more famous bands on the 2nd stage.  They were OK but did not live up to the hype.  Plus, I'm not really into death metal at all.

The Showdown:  A different kind of band for Ozzfest... a little southern rock vibe.  They reminded me a lot of Corrosion of Conformity.  They did a Pantera/Metallica covers medley to keep the metal crowd interested.  I liked 'em a lot.

In This Moment:  Awesome.  Check 'em out!  Fall tour w/ Megadeth and The Confession.

DevilDriver:  Good live band w/ showman singer, but all their songs kinda sound the same to me.

Behemoth:  I get why everyone likes these guys, but again, not my thing.

Hatebreed:  I have seen them around 15x, and they never disappoint.  This is my first time seeing them in support of their CD Supremacy.  They played an hour set w/ a good mix from all their albums.  They are truly amazing live.  They had the crowd do a circle pit around the soundboard during "Proven," and they brought young kids up on stage w/ them both days.  I honestly love this band.  Their music is brutal and easy to get into, and it's really positive.  Plus, they're huge now, but they haven't forgotten where they came from and all the fans and other (now smaller) bands that helped get them where they are.  Here are the songs that they did.  Also, they were the only band to mix up their setlist.  They didn't play all these songs both days.

to the threshhold
doomsayer
proven
never let it die
defeatist
destroy everything
last breath
tear it down
betrayed by life
as diehard as they come
perseverance
before dishonor
empty promises
smash your enemies
hollow ground
mind over all
live for this
this is now
I will be heard

I missed Lordi and Black Tide.  Oh well.

Static-X was the highlight of the main stage for me.  I love that band and have been listening to Wisconsin Death Trip continuously ever since the shows.  Their setlist looked something like this:

cannibal
shit in a bag
I'm With Stupid
bled for days
cold
destroy all
destroyer
this is not
push it
get to the gone

Lamb of God:  I had no idea they were this popular now.  They keep getting better and better every time I see 'em.  I am a bit disappointed (yet not surprised) that they basically only played their "hits" + stuff from their last 2 CDs.  The one deep cut was "Omerta," which I think could've easily been replaced by any one of about a dozen other songs that are far superior.  Lamb of God is doing a winter co-headlining run w/ Killswitch Engage and possible openers Suicidal Tendancies and Every Time I Die.  Their setlist:

hourglass
laid to rest
walk with me in hell
again we rise
ruin
pathetic
as the palaces burn
now you've got...
blacken the cursed sun
omerta
vigil
redneck
black label

Ozzy:  He's still quite the showman, but his voice and mobility on stage are null and void.  It's still a ton of fun, though.   I think he'll do Ozzfest until he physically cannot stand on stage and sing.  I mean, there is still a demand for it, and it has to be an amazing feeling to have 30,000 people go bonkers for you every night.  I was super-excited to hear "Road to Nowhere," which is possibly my favorite Ozzy song.  The setlist:

bark at the moon
mr. crowley
not going away
war pigs
road to nowhere
suicide solution
Zakk Wylde 10-min. guitar solo
I don't know
here for you
I don't want to change the world
mama, I'm coming home
crazy train
paranoid

Ozzfest is always a fun day.  I can't wait to go in Detroit in 2 weeks.  If you're going to this tour, try to check out In This Moment & 3 Inches of Blood on the 2nd stage.  They're amazing.
WingedOctopus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 09:31:17 am »

I don't know what your talking about; Daath and Chthonic kick ass.  But yes, 3 Inches of Blood rules

::animatedlaugh Burger King Diamond
KevinDeets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 05:45:42 pm »

WingedOctopus said: I don't know what your talking about; Daath and Chthonic kick ass.  But yes, 3 Inches of Blood rules

The reason I didn't like Daath was that they did too many of the metal concert cliches that I've seen 100x and am tired of (Yelling at the crowd, constantly saying everything in a growling voice, saying "c'mon motherfuckers" about 15x, talking trash about George Bush).  All that phony "I think I'm a rockstar b/c I'm on a stage, so I'll tell people what to do and say anything b/c they'll applaud" is so old to me.  Their music was OK.  I'll give em another listen.

Chthonic, in my opinion, was so bad that I couldn't even listen to them.
NoSignOfLife

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 05:22:13 pm »

WorldAblaze

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 10:57:41 pm »

KevinDeets said: I.  Lamb of God is doing a winter co-headlining run w/ Killswitch Engage and possible openers Suicidal Tendancies and Every Time I Die.  

::surprise

ohgod. this made my day if it's true.

LordiCola

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 11:29:36 am »

3 inches of blood AND in thie moment being good? you've lost your damn mind. chthonic fucking kicked ass. if any band would be the next to leave after chicago it should have been black tide or lordi. black tide looked lost out there and lordi just sucks ass period.
lizardnanors

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 11:45:11 am »

In This Moment was fuckin awesome in Indy. She is a really great live singer. chthonic sucked at indy...
good review::finger
sampson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 11:59:29 am »

What the hell is wrong with The Showdown's singer? And I agree that Lamb of God should add in some other songs. Blood of the Scribe would be nice.

People who don't like Ozzy but spend all their time on his board need to get lives.
Anything >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Caex's Life
JaGBaG

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 01:55:30 pm »

i was at both shows too and they both kicked ass...yoiu forgot to put that hatebreed came back out at chicago and played reign in blood for like 30 seconds
Graveyardawaken
GOD
Community

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 07:18:14 pm »

Behemoth got totally disrespected people threw shoes.
I fucking love behemoth I showed them who their fans were.

Lamb of god put on  a great show, the mosh pits were fucking awesome. and yes i was in them and if you may remember me alpine valley people i started a all girl mosh in a side pit on the right side of the hill.

Lordi were embarrassing...the only fans truly there for them only were these fat kids wearing dethklok t-shirts singing their every lyric...Now i do not deny the catchiness of hard rock hallelujah but that doesn't make it good. Also at the end of their set they fucked up and said "goodnight Michigan" or something along that lines, lordi really needs to learn what state their in.

In this moment, great i know alot of people on here don't dig them but i really do, it maybe because i'm a chick or something but whatever it does it for me. i got their autographs and got a picture with her and a hug. gorgeous fucking chick.

JaGBaG

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 08:00:23 pm »

At the Alpine Valley show, i was 3rd row, left side of the middle section of seating.  easily, this was a well spent 20$ upgrade.
Passmethevial

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 07:03:09 pm »

was i the only one who noticed the showdown's singer bleeding from the nose haha?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: