HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Death Growls / Harsh Vocals  (Read 3610 times)
Shadow_Aurion

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2007, 11:58:54 am »

I'm trying to learn how to do the whole 'rawr' thing, but i can't shake the feeling that i'm doing something wrong. Whenever i get done practicing trying to growl, my throat is always sort of scratchy/dry. Sometimes it's kinda sore/burny, so i kinda took that as a sign that i'm fucking up my voice. Dunno if i'm breathing wrong, using too much air, not enough air, too much voice, not enough voice... etc.

Any tips to uh... help me do it right? (if i'm doing it wrong, which i probably am. XD) Thanks in advance to anybody who takes time out of their day to help me.
SixStringSamurai

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 02:30:29 pm »

There's this woman scream/growl coach who has helped bands like All That Remains and Lamb of God with their vocals. I can't recall her name but she's been on a few Late Night shows, I think Carson Daily and Conan, so she's not a quack. I would recommend to not "scream" but try to growl from your throat. Just make shure your throat isn't dry. Saliva is a metal growlers friend.

Jagbag- "Hail the return(of SSS) or GTFO."
SixStringSamurai

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 02:32:04 pm »

SixStringSamurai said: There's this woman scream/growl coach who has helped bands like All That Remains and Lamb of God with their vocals. I can't recall her name but she's been on a few Late Night shows, I think Carson Daily and Conan, so she's not a quack. I would recommend to not "scream" but try to growl from your throat. Just make shure your throat isn't dry. Saliva is a metal growlers friend.
OH!! The lady in question has a dvd out to help those who want to RAWRRRRRR properly so you could just go to google and type in Metal vocal coach or something similar. I hope I've been somewhat helpful.::animatedsmile

Jagbag- "Hail the return(of SSS) or GTFO."
themetalmidget

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 02:43:33 pm »

for growling, use your stomach, and not your throat as much.

"Hippies HATE death metal"
Master_Chief
Community

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 03:53:32 pm »

use ur ass!!!
its ten time more crackly!!!

ozzy4president51

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 01:25:20 pm »

SixStringSamurai said:
SixStringSamurai said: There's this woman scream/growl coach who has helped bands like All That Remains and Lamb of God with their vocals. I can't recall her name but she's been on a few Late Night shows, I think Carson Daily and Conan, so she's not a quack. I would recommend to not "scream" but try to growl from your throat. Just make shure your throat isn't dry. Saliva is a metal growlers friend.
OH!! The lady in question has a dvd out to help those who want to RAWRRRRRR properly so you could just go to google and type in Metal vocal coach or something similar. I hope I've been somewhat helpful.::animatedsmile
its called "the zen of screaming". There is number one and number 2. I believe the second one gives more info about how to going about scream/growling.

StitchsRevoltx

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 04:03:24 pm »

Growl from your diaphram, just like you would if you were singing. That way, you're not straining your vocal chords and make sure you always warm up before you do it or you can really ruin your voice. Also, drink lots of warm water with lemon, it helps with a scratchy voice.

::finger
nevertoriseagain

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 01:04:57 am »

Melissa Cross is the name of the woman you're talking about.

Common sense things - use your diaphragm (as you should with any type of singing) and don't forget that volume isn't everything. Work on technique; start to feel comfortable growling quietly, loudly, and in between.

Also, start with short, abrupt growls and build your way up to more sustained ones. Gurgle some water in the back of your throat first and avoid things like milk and carbonated beverages.
Master_Chief
Community

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 07:01:13 pm »

HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh said: use ur ass!!!
God, I was such a dick head.::laugh

DamnYankee07
Community

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 11:00:51 pm »

xXxBODOM_OF_MY_HEARTxXx

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 06:31:16 pm »

well i did growling before and what really helps is some warm water and some room temperature honey before doing anything. and try getting or finding some vids on the zen of screaming. the excersizes are cheezy as fuck but they actually work well. use your gut and dont actually scream. good luck. and breathe breathe breathe!::finger

XxMetalLoversDreamxX
xXxBODOM_OF_MY_HEARTxXx

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 11:17:35 am »

SixStringSamurai said:
her DVD is called the Zen Of Screaming...

XxMetalLoversDreamxX
Gaahl_Nergal_Espedal

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 01:36:53 am »

themetalmidget said: for growling, use your stomach, and not your throat as much.

themetalmidget said: for growling, use your stomach, and not your throat as much.

::animatedlaugh  ::animatedlaugh

myspace.com/shadesofanger
Gaahl_Nergal_Espedal

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 01:37:57 am »

Master_Chief said: use ur ass!!!

lawl...pwnd... ::finger

myspace.com/shadesofanger
SLAYTANIC_WERHMACHT

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 11:55:50 pm »

zenofmetal said: Melissa Cross is the name of the woman you're talking about.

Common sense things - use your diaphragm (as you should with any type of singing) and don't forget that volume isn't everything. Work on technique; start to feel comfortable growling quietly, loudly, and in between.

Also, start with short, abrupt growls and build your way up to more sustained ones. Gurgle some water in the back of your throat first and avoid things like milk and carbonated beverages.

you wankers could learn a few things from Zen!!!!!!!!!!!::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: