HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What really is a Sell Out  (Read 7718 times)
mynekogirl

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2008, 04:03:12 am »

no posts, I was hoping to hear opinions, cause I could be wrong with my statement here
Sex_E_Manbeast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 04:08:42 am »

when your music starts to suck and you rely on endorsements to push record sales.

Sex_E_Manbeast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 04:10:31 am »

Or changing your style just to fit the trend of what music is doing best on the charts. I don't have a double standard for this either, The Beatles changed styles from the classic "buddy holly" jam music to the hippy music, and I do consider that selling out. You guys can say what you want, its not going to change my mind about it.

mynekogirl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 04:14:12 am »

Sex_E_Manbeast said: Or changing your style just to fit the trend of what music is doing best on the charts. I don't have a double standard for this either, The Beatles changed styles from the classic "buddy holly" jam music to the hippy music, and I do consider that selling out. You guys can say what you want, its not going to change my mind about it.

Good point on the Beatles.  They did change their style big time.  But in the end they were seriously burnt out
mynekogirl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 01:15:02 pm »

I want to know is how the Roling Stones managed to stay the way they have without a change.  I have never known them to change for any trend
melodeathbabe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 01:15:33 pm »

too long.

jimbob232

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 01:51:07 pm »

Sex_E_Manbeast said: Or changing your style just to fit the trend of what music is doing best on the charts. I don't have a double standard for this either, The Beatles changed styles from the classic "buddy holly" jam music to the hippy music, and I do consider that selling out. You guys can say what you want, its not going to change my mind about it.

I disagree with the Beatles notion. I believe what they made then was certainly more along the lines of musical experimentation in which their hearts were genuinely behind.

There's nothing wrong with changing styles (if the heart is still there). Selling out has to do with motivation than with style changes alone. Bands experiment in order to not sound stale and rehashed. It has to be tough to balance that right mix of experimentation and originality but at the same time not going too far with it to be called sell outs.

I've always considered selling out to mean lowering one's artistic integrity, whether it be changing your sound to become more accessible to the mainstream population of music listeners (idiots for the most part), or bringing in corporate sponsorship in order to promote your "product" (it's no longer art imo).  The latter really doesn't occur much in metal. I'd love to see Burzum do a commercial for Pepsi.

However, when you go and water down what you started, remove the double bass, taboo subject matter, and overall crunchiness, we've got problems.

jimbob232

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 01:52:03 pm »

mynekogirl said: I want to know is how the Roling Stones managed to stay the way they have without a change.  I have never known them to change for any trend

I think they realized that they were the trend. Bands definitely attempted to emulate what they had done. And they capitalized on that.

WacoJesus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 01:58:33 pm »

Sell outs= Bands that change their sound because the record company offer them a substantial amount of money to write more mainstream or radio friendly songs to fit with a genre that's popular at moment. At the moment when Metallica came out with St. Anger nu-metal was the big stink, it wouldn't surprise me if metallica's next album has breakdowns and 808's.

mynekogirl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 02:19:48 pm »

WacoJesus said: Sell outs= Bands that change their sound because the record company offer them a substantial amount of money to write more mainstream or radio friendly songs to fit with a genre that's popular at moment. At the moment when Metallica came out with St. Anger nu-metal was the big stink, it wouldn't surprise me if metallica's next album has breakdowns and 808's.

I will be truthfull.  I rather enjoyed St Anger.
THEBURNED

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 03:07:39 pm »

does anyone else wish mynekogirl would just go away?
THEBURNED

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 03:11:24 pm »

THEBURNED

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 03:12:17 pm »

THEBURNED

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 03:14:37 pm »

and im totally fine with that reposting itself 3 times.
mynekogirl

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 03:35:28 pm »

THEBURNED said: does anyone else wish mynekogirl would just go away?

Obviously not, since they didnt answer you!::finger
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: