HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What really is a Sell Out  (Read 7451 times)
mynekogirl

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 16, 2008, 01:28:56 am »

BigTRocks said: Great thread!  The last Metallica album wasn't the best, but for me it was still Metallica doing what they do.  

The best way to sum it up for me...is that it's been good-tasting Hershey milk chocolate bar all these years, then they decided to add raisins to it.  Well it kinda tastes weird in my mouth, but then again it doesn't taste too bad.  Chew on it a little more, yep...nope...yep...nope!  Hot damn, I'm not real sure if I like it or not?  Some of my friends didn't want to eat it at all...some of them tasted it, then spit out...and was like yuucckkk!  And some said that it was the corporate a-holes that wanted to add the raisins to it, because as a group they thought it could be more maketable in a certain age group.

I don't think a band can escape sell out at some point in their career.  I think it's inevitable.  

Yes I know...Ozzfest 2008...coming to a venue near you!  ::smile

Dam what a cool way to re-kick start this thread!  I have to admire your point of view on that!  Ok this thread has found new life!  ::finger
mynekogirl

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 18, 2008, 11:57:27 pm »

any more final thoughts before we officially bury this thread?
BigTRocks

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 21, 2008, 03:20:33 am »

mynekogirl said: any more final thoughts before we officially bury this thread?

I was talking to a group of 20-sumthins at a local show in Dallas a couple of weekends ago...about their new band...I was asking them about where they wanted to go with their band...first words out of their mouths was...:"we wanna go on tour"!  It's all got to start somewhere...a dream...a goal...a little bit of ambition...

100,000 flyers later...numerous pubs, stages, backrooms, halls, stadiums, venues...maybe 10-20 years later...these 20-sumthins may be the next big metal group?  You never know?  

Will they sell out during that time?  Hell yeah...they will sell out...all the venues they will play at.  Selll every single ticket.  Yes...they will sell out...the bands put out the music...the labels, the agents, the managers...are all trying to cash in.  Some where down the line...an album will be made for "the radio"...it's a given.  

"The radio" has a huge audience...not satellite radio...good ol FM...they reach the masses.  At some point your gonna have to sell out...just to get the ONE freakin song...to the masses.  And that one freakin song may break you or take you...to a new high...or a new low.

Crazy_eyes
I'm the king of Ozzfest
Community

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 21, 2008, 04:53:03 am »

I'm not gonna take the time to read all the posts so I gave up after the first few.  Anyways, to that dude that was talkin' about bands goin' to radio friendly shit after 5 - 6 years of not knowin' what the hell radio friendly music is is the definition of sell-out.  However, it's rarely the label that makes 'em sell-out.  They normally do that on their own.  If you have ever seen the bank-statement and check stubs for these bands that haven't sold-out, you would be fuckin' shocked.  They are fuckin' miserable, they get about $1 to split between the band for each CD, if they're luck.  Think about it, you got 5 people in the band + manager.  You've got $1 to split between those 6 people.  How the hell can a person live that way gettin' a little more than 15 cents for each CD sold.  By the way, that $1 is if they are one hell of a band and that's probably what Ozzy's band is gettin' to split between them.  Smaller bands like the ones that rotate on the 2nd stage are probably lucky to get 10% of the $ that the CD's are sold for.  A lot of the bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Slipknot sell-out just so that they can make ends-meat.

???????DawnoftheDead???????

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 21, 2008, 07:02:20 am »

Crazy_eyes said: I'm not gonna take the time to read all the posts so I gave up after the first few.  Anyways, to that dude that was talkin' about bands goin' to radio friendly shit after 5 - 6 years of not knowin' what the hell radio friendly music is is the definition of sell-out.  However, it's rarely the label that makes 'em sell-out.  They normally do that on their own.  If you have ever seen the bank-statement and check stubs for these bands that haven't sold-out, you would be fuckin' shocked.  They are fuckin' miserable, they get about $1 to split between the band for each CD, if they're luck.  Think about it, you got 5 people in the band + manager.  You've got $1 to split between those 6 people.  How the hell can a person live that way gettin' a little more than 15 cents for each CD sold.  By the way, that $1 is if they are one hell of a band and that's probably what Ozzy's band is gettin' to split between them.  Smaller bands like the ones that rotate on the 2nd stage are probably lucky to get 10% of the $ that the CD's are sold for.  A lot of the bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Slipknot sell-out just so that they can make ends-meat.

Agreed.

mynekogirl

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 21, 2008, 07:59:20 am »

It is amazing how this thread at the point of no return catches in on new thoughts from members of this site.

This is why I created the thread.  I think we all can relate to having to pay bills.  Some of those artists have familys whom depend on them to be succesfull.  So yeah selling out to some degree is needed when your a parent and a child is at home to young to understand but old enough were the needs of daily necessities like food, water, clothes and shelter are more important.

But if we can please lets try to keep this thread alive a little longer.  Metallica is said to be finisheing their new album and lets see were that stands.  I made several predictions on what was a sell out cause I coudnt find 1 good response.  Lets see were they land.  Then we all will know.::finger
Ace_Rothstein

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 21, 2008, 10:15:29 am »

Megadeth is a good example of a Sell Out band.
slayerfied
fukyocouchnigga
Community

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 21, 2008, 10:18:05 am »

Ace_Rothstein said: Megadeth is a good example of a Sell Out band.
You need a catscan

THEBURNED

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 21, 2008, 01:24:32 pm »

slayer1__ said:

You need a catscan

megadeth is a good example of a shitty band.
poobobo
Community

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 21, 2008, 01:26:47 pm »

megadeth is awesome idk what your talking about i'd pick them over metallica anyday

Ace_Rothstein

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 21, 2008, 01:28:08 pm »

poobobo said: megadeth is awesome idk what your talking about i'd pick them over metallica anyday

Thats not really saying much, I would pick them over Metallica too.
slayerfied
fukyocouchnigga
Community

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 21, 2008, 01:48:04 pm »

THEBURNED said:

slayer1__ said:

You need a catscan

You also need one. Mustaine is the shit. I think you and Ace rothstein are the only 2 people I've ever talked to that don't like Megadeth, but then again that really aint sayin much for your taste in music!

poobobo
Community

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 21, 2008, 01:50:42 pm »

slayer1__ said:
THEBURNED said:
slayer1__ said:
You need a catscan

You also need one. Mustaine is the shit. I think you and Ace rothstein are the only 2 people I've ever talked to that don't like Megadeth, but then again that really aint sayin much for your taste in music!
hahaha the burned is a dickhole

THEBURNED

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 21, 2008, 01:52:38 pm »

slayer1__ said:

so because i don't listen to radio metal bands like you do, i have bad taste in music? i guess that makes sense.
slayerfied
fukyocouchnigga
Community

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 21, 2008, 02:08:58 pm »

I didn't say that I said your an asshole for not liking Megadeth, my musical taste is not at question here yours is. I admit I listen to some Mainstream but it is not my total preference. There aint nothing wrong with listening to some mainstream you almost can't help it if you listen to the radio at all. But to not like Megadeth WTF R U THINKIN?

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: