HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for guitarists/bassists  (Read 3553 times)
SixxAMEN

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2007, 02:22:26 am »

Ok this may be a dumb question but it's a tad important to me..I wanna know..when you're playing do you ever use your pinky? I'm asking cuz I'm in the process of really trying to learn bass guitar and my bass coach is really strict about me using my pinky. For the most part I really do try to fret with my pinky but it seriously fucking  hurts when I do. it's like everytime I try to fret with my pinky I crack the knuckle Sad so am I the only one having troubles with this?

Rolly_Polly

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 11:35:01 am »

You gotta use your pinky dude. Its there, so if you dont use it, its just wasted and in the way. try practicing pentatonic and chromatic scales using all four fret fingers in various places of the neck. DONT CHEAT by repositioning your hand, use one finger per fret. start slow up and down the scale, then gradually get faster. and move them scales around. this is an awsome practice technique because not only do you exercise all of your fingers, but after a while the scales will be hardwired into your head and will become second nature. just keep repeating the same patterns over and over for like an hour or so everyday (like even when ur watching tv or something). don't forget to alternate pick (down up for every note) because this will help your pick hand accuracy. And when that pinky finger (or any other fret finger) is not hitting that note, dont hang it off the side of the neck or tuck it back,  YOU WANT YOUR FINGERS, all of them, HOVERING ABOVE THE STRINGS READY TO ATTACK

hope this helps

::finger werd to the nerdz
EvilHippieDriftwood

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 11:35:34 am »

Yeah, you should use all your fingers. If you don't, it's a waste.

October 24: Opeth (fuck openers)
Rolly_Polly

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 11:36:58 am »

oops, my bad. .. .. I meant Dudette!

::finger werd to the nerdz
Diablo_Del_La_Rosa

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 04:48:30 pm »

I use my pinky sparingly because I broke it and it's hard for me to use it alot.  It will hurt at first but as you practice more and more the pain will subside as you build up the strength in your hands and calluses on your finger tips.

zfw
Numb-Nutz
Community

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 10:03:25 pm »

keep at it.

puffpuffpass
Community

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 10:09:26 pm »

yeah my bass teacher always tought me to use all my fingers.

ozzy4president51

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 07:35:00 am »

SixxAMEN said: Ok this may be a dumb question but it's a tad important to me..I wanna know..when you're playing do you ever use your pinky? I'm asking cuz I'm in the process of really trying to learn bass guitar and my bass coach is really strict about me using my pinky. For the most part I really do try to fret with my pinky but it seriously fucking  hurts when I do. it's like everytime I try to fret with my pinky I crack the knuckle Sad so am I the only one having troubles with this?
I got the same problem, but it does get better. As a guitarist it is sosmewhat hard to shred without using  your pinky so im still working on it.

fucksharon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 08:25:36 am »

work at it, it gets better with practice....you need the pinky
Wartooth

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 02:01:36 pm »

everyone doesnt have to use their pinky.  Your instructor is forcing his style on you which is why i dont think taking lessons is that great of an investment.  You dont have to use your pinky if you develop a playing style that doesnt need it.

Sewnmouthshut

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 09:04:14 am »

SixxAMEN said: Ok this may be a dumb question but it's a tad important to me..I wanna know..when you're playing do you ever use your pinky? I'm asking cuz I'm in the process of really trying to learn bass guitar and my bass coach is really strict about me using my pinky. For the most part I really do try to fret with my pinky but it seriously fucking  hurts when I do. it's like everytime I try to fret with my pinky I crack the knuckle Sad so am I the only one having troubles with this?

of course you need your pinky for guitar.over time you'll get better at it

check out my band

myspace.com/consumedtx
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 08:17:42 pm »

::smile
Nebula2009

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 01:27:28 am »

It is good to use all of your fingers to cover four frets without shifting postions. Believe me, you need all the fingers you can get especially for the faster stuff.
Demigod_92

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 01:28:40 am »

me as abass player and guitarist, yes i do. for bas i use it to even "pick" the string. but i never use a pick for bass

FUCK
skinxcarver

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 10:16:21 am »

i use all my fingers .even my thumb at times

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: