HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dimebags equipment through the years...  (Read 1156 times)
ZonedWithinRage
Community

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2007, 06:38:55 pm »

In his early career as a musician, Dimebag used Dean ML guitars and Bill Lawrence L500XL pickups, which he would install in a reversed position to have the "hot" blade facing the neck. His main guitars were the Dean from Hell (an ML guitar customised by Buddy Blaze, painted with a unique lightning bolt design and 'Floyd rosed') and a Braziliaburst ML. He used Dean guitars from 1983 - 1995. When Dean guitars went out of business he switched to Washburn. Dimebag used Washburn guitars from 1996 HuhHuh?? 2004 endorsing various signature models such as the Dimebolt and the Stealth. His main guitars at this point where the dime 333, the stealth, and the culprit (a unique model designed by washburn which varied greatly from the ml's). Seymour Duncan manufactures a signature pickup co-designed by Dime, called the Dimebucker. Dimebag proudly endorsed Seymour Duncan, but continued to use Bill Lawrence pickups in most of his personal guitars. Several months before his death, Darrell ended his long relationship with Washburn guitars, and again became a Dean endorsee, coinciding with Dean Guitar founder Dean Zelinksy's return. Dean guitars built him a brand new signature guitar, called the Dime O' Flame, which he began using live. As a tribute to him, in 2005 Dean Guitars released the new Dime Tribute line of ML guitars. These guitars come in various models, ranging from lower end ones that have a stop tail piece, a bolt-on neck, Basswood Body, and lower quality pickups, to higher end models with Dimebuckers, a Floyd Rose bridge, and set neck construction. In his last few weeks with Dean Guitars, Dime help design a guitar he called the Razorback. After his death, Dean continued with the Razorback project and dedicated them to the memory of him. During the height of Dimebag's fame, he also worked together with MXR and Dunlop to produce the MXR Dime Distortion and the Dimebag "Crybaby from Hell" Wah respectively.

Dimebag's main rig included:

Randall RG100H heads and cabinets (1983 - 1991, 1996 - 1999)
Randall Century 200 heads and cabinets (1992 - 1995, 2000)
Randall Warhead heads and cabinets (2000 - 2004)
Randall X2 Warhead heads and cabinets (2004)
Krank Revolution heads and cabinets (late 2004)
Furman PQ4 parametric equalizer (1990 - 1995)
Furman PQ3 parametric equalizer (1996 - 2004)
MXR Six band graphic equalizer ('the blue one')
MXR flanger / doubler (1990 - 2004)
Lexicon effect modules
Korg Ax30g
Rocktron Guitar silencer
Digitech Whammy pedal
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Crybaby From HELL

When Dime left Washburn a few weeks before his death, he also left Randall Amps. Dimebag had always swore by his solid-state Randall's through the years, but in late 2004 he switched to Krank amplifiers, which were purely tube driven. He planned to redefine his very own sound by developing the "Krankenstein". He used the MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive with the Krank amps.

RIP DIME!

MarcStitz77

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 06:42:05 pm »

Wow, thanx for the info

Your Killing yourself to live!!!!!!!!!!!!::animatedsmile

quoted by heavymetalgirl: God is fine it's his fans that suck.
deadjesus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 06:58:26 pm »

Who cares?  He was a glam fag turned thrash metal wannabe anyway.

---------------------------------
I was the turkey ALLLL ALONG!
EvilHippieDriftwood

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 07:00:10 pm »

deadjesus said: Who cares?  He was a glam fag turned thrash metal wannabe anyway.

I agree.

October 24: Opeth (fuck openers)
Gipper6092

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 01:55:33 am »

RIP Dime. But you do have to admit he was realy good
ZonedWithinRage
Community

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 02:23:43 am »

deadjesus said: Who cares?  He was a glam fag turned thrash metal wannabe anyway.

Alot of people care..he was a good ass musician and good to his fans. Dime is a legend..most the bands you listen to probably would'nt be here if it wasnt for Pantera and Dime.

deadjesus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 03:11:39 am »

Um, no... Pantera were a glam metal band who heard Exhorder (one of "the bands I listen to, btw) at a bar and decided they didn't want to be pretty girly makeup wearing Poison fans anymore and went to thrash metal, totally ignoring their previous FOUR ALBUMS and pretending they never happened.  They went so far as to beating up one fan who wanted a copy of Metal Magic signed because they no longer wanted anyone to know they did that stuff, and when James Hetfield came over and started spitting on their "Wall of Glam," a bunch of pictures of people they admired including Poison, Kiss, Winger, Whitesnake, and other lame shit, they joined in, just because they wanted to be cool.  This was a collection of pics they had collected from fanzines for years, and they started tearing it down when someone didn't like it.
See, I would have more respect for Pantera if they'd stuck to their guns.  No, I don't like glam, but if they wanted to be pretty girls and dress up and sing about how pretty they are, then whatever works for them should be what they do.  But to totally ignore what they were just because they wanted to be cool?  LAME.

ZonedWithinRage
Community

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 03:18:44 am »

Thought they played power metal? Not glam.

deadjesus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 03:23:11 am »

They had an album called Power Metal, but back then EVERYTHING was called "power metal" if it wasn't traditional BS style heavy metal... they didn't have but two genres in the earliest part of the eighties.  Rest assured, Pantera started off as glam as glam can get.

deadjesus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 03:25:15 am »

Here's something from the bio at metal-archives.com:

Pantera was formed in 1981 by brothers Darrell Lance Abbott and Vincent Paul Abbott. They started out as a KISS-influenced glam band. They added bassist Robert ``Rex`` Brown, and changed their names to Diamond Darrell, Vinnie Paul and Rexx Rocker, respectively. They found vocalist Donnie Hart, who sang for a few rehearsals, and then Terry Glaze "Terrence Lee". With the help of Jerry Abbott, Darrell and Vinnie's father, known as ``The Eld'n`` or ``The Elder`` (who was a famous country-music producer, and owned a studio), they put out their first album, Metal Magic, in 1983. The first three albums in fact were on ``Metal Magic Records``, and were all self-produced.

1984's Projects in the Jungle and 1985's I Am the Night followed, with Terrence taking on the name ``Terry Glaze`` in 1985. They also put out ``The Hot 'n Heavy Home Vid`` in 1985, a set of live clips and other footage.

A meeting between Darrell and Metallica's James Hetfield turned fateful in 1985... at this point, Darrell had a ``wall of glam`` in his room, with pictures of Bon Jovi and whatnot. James spit on it, and Darrell, instead of getting angry, joined in. The ``wall of loogies`` is still there today... this marked a change in the band, as I am the Night was far heavier and faster.

When Terry Glaze wanted to stay with the glam sound, his influence in the band diminished. Darrell took over a lot of the vocals live, especially on covers by Metallica and other thrash bands (they also had Van Halen and Keel covers, as well as Anthrax). However, the reason he left the band was due to his father objecting to The Elder having a 1/5 stake in the band (same as a full member) due to his recording and management. When Pantera got signed to Atco in late 1986, Terry left. Jason McMaster (Watchtower, Dangerous Toys) was offered the gig but declined. Terry was replaced first by David Peacock, and then Matt Lamour. Finally, Donnie Hart was brought back, and an audition was given to Rhett Forrester (Riot), but it turned out Phil Anselmo from Razor White was the final choice. His first gig was January 11th, 1987.

1988 brought the album ``Power Metal``, their fastest and heaviest yet, and at some point Rex Rocker lost an X. Soon he would lose his last name too, and in 1989, possibly due to an encounter with Slayer's Kerry King on May 18th (a video exists of the jam session, and also a later concert where they player Raining Blood and some Priest covers), they dropped the whole big hair thing. They also phased out the old songs in the setlist and brought in new ones that would appear on 1990's Cowboys from Hell.

In 1992, Diamond Darrell became Dimebag, and around then, the band decided to officially disavow any knowledge of their early albums. Phil seems to have the most ``fucking hostile`` reaction to any mention of the old days, while Dime tends to be more amused than anything else. The ``Vulgar Display of Power`` and ``Far Beyond Driven`` albums were released in 1992 and 1994, respectively. 1996 brought ``The Great Southern Trendkill``, with guest vocals by Seth Putnam of Anal Cunt. 1997's live album, ``101 Proof`` and 2000's ``Reinventing the Steel`` complete the Pantera discography.

ZonedWithinRage
Community

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 03:28:06 am »

Power metal album was when Phil came into the picture and I agree on the previous albums sucking before that. And they did look gay but im not going to hate the guy for changing into thrash because his band put out some great material and did influence alot of bands,plus it was one less gay band out there.

ZonedWithinRage
Community

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 03:29:31 am »

Do you play music?

deadjesus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 03:30:20 am »

Dabbled in guitar, used to play keys till it got stolen, currently have a bass.  Why?

ZonedWithinRage
Community

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 03:39:14 am »

I have a band and I ve played guitar my whole life. Just never heard anyone talk shit on dime like that before..All the musicians I know respect his talent and what he brought to metal. So what he had a few lame albums at first..he evolved.

ZonedWithinRage
Community

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 03:42:23 am »

He was into country music too..going to hate him for that?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: