HomeNewsTour DatesBandsHistoryOzzfest StoreOzTVPhotosForum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome Back!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SLAYER's Kerry King Warns MARILYN MANSON About Co-Headlining Run  (Read 2802 times)
ZonedWithinRage
Community

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2007, 07:10:39 pm »

The following report is courtesy of Chris Harris from MTV.com:

Guitarist Kerry King can't even remember the last time his band - the iconic speed-metal maelstrom that is SLAYER - played a gig it didn't close out. That's because, with more than 25 years in the business, Slayer have been a headlining act for quite some time. When Slayer take the stage, no one else follows. Or at least that's the way things were before the band decided to team up with MARILYN MANSON.

Slayer's summer co-headlining run with Manson is set to kick off July 25 in West Palm Beach, Florida, and will hit 25 cities before concluding September 1 in San Antonio.

"[This tour has] been in the works for a good part of this year, and the way it started out was, we were looking to do another Unholy Alliance this summer," King explained of the festival, which featured MASTODON, LAMB OF GOD, CHILDREN OF BODOM and THINE EYES BLEED last year. "Then, when we found out we'd probably be touring with Manson, he didn't want to call it [the Unholy Alliance]. So, we were like, 'Fine, man. Let's just go out and do a big tour.' He basically said [playing festival runs] wasn't who he is anymore, and we were like, 'All right.' It didn't make much sense to me, but that's who he is now, I guess."

So, while this summer's trek is billed as a "co-headliner," King said each and every date on the tour will end with a set from Manson.

"It is completely co-headlining, except that he wanted to close every day, and we're like, 'Hey, knock yourself out,'" King said. "We've been in so many situations like that, and sometimes, it's better not to be the last band on. So, we're just kind of happy about it. I don't have the ego that makes me - and I'm not saying Manson does - but I don't have the ego that makes me have to close every show. I won't be playing any longer, and we'll be done with our show and be able to chill for a change."

But, while some speculate that the two artists have vastly different fanbases, King said the pairing does make sense to him. And if Manson plays his cards right, he might not witness a mass exodus of Slayer fans leaving each venue once King's crew is through.

"It's definitely going to be weird," he admitted. "My whole thing is, it depends on what Manson plays, whether our kids stay or not. If he comes out and plays 'Tainted Love,' half the place is going to leave. No offense to Manson - I'm just saying what's up. I want him to come out and kick ass, because I'm an old-school fan. He can succeed on this tour, if he chooses the right set."

dethklok66623

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 07:13:53 pm »

Yeah Thats True, but slayer should headline

dethklok66623

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 07:14:02 pm »

imo

sweet_dark
Community

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 07:15:05 pm »

If I end up going I'm gonna leave after Slayer!

BLSDETROIT
Community

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 07:15:15 pm »

FUCK MANSON::finger

::finger
LoweDownDirty1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 07:15:16 pm »

slayer kicks manson's skinny ass all over the stage

brandedcfh420

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 07:15:16 pm »

good luck getting the slayer fans to stay and see his show..i know i wouldnt::finger

::finger FUCK METALLICA ::finger
sweet_dark
Community

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 07:15:21 pm »

dethklok66623 said: Yeah Thats True, but slayer should headline

QFT

Beholder666

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 07:15:48 pm »

i'm going to the concert on 7/28,but i thought slayer would be the last act to perform. it should be good though.
WingedOctopus
Community

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 07:15:58 pm »

I would love to see both Slayer and Manson's sets.  They are drastically different musically, and I can see how many people would choose to just see Slayer

::animatedlaugh Burger King Diamond
hvymetal6666

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 07:16:11 pm »

Screw Manson, Slayer doesn't need Manson to help sell tickets, so they should do their own tour.

::sinister

\m/ \m/
ozzfestvet2000

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 07:19:25 pm »

I thought for sure Slayer would be closing out the shows.

sig compliments of whitewolf1989
Roaddogg666

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 07:19:53 pm »

hvymetal6666 said: Screw Manson, Slayer doesn't need Manson to help sell tickets, so they should do their own tour.

::sinister

True, but without Manson, i doubt Slayer would be playing big venues

And its going to be funny seeing the mix of Slayer and Manson fans. 40+ guys against 15 year old emo kids...gonna be funny
burn_all_midgets

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 07:21:42 pm »

If I go I'll stick around and watch mansons set.  Never seen him live, id give him a chance to impress me somehow.  Plus I like to get my moneys worth when i pay for a show.
BigLaFeves

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 07:21:51 pm »

I think Slayer should be the headliner on this tour!!!  Just as a side note "Guitarist Kerry King can't even remember the last time his band - the iconic speed-metal maelstrom that is SLAYER - played a gig it didn't close out. That's because, with more than 25 years in the business, Slayer have been a headlining act for quite some time. When Slayer take the stage, no one else follows. Or at least that's the way things were before the band decided to team up with MARILYN MANSON", his memory must not be good because they opened for Pantera on a stadium tour in like 2000 or 2001.
::surprise::animatedlaugh::surprise
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: